Installed tank, now not running right. :wtf:

10 replies to this topic
  • wheelnut46

Posted August 24, 2007 - 05:15 PM

I installed my new Clarke 4.7 :applause: and while it was apart I replaced the clutch cable :prof: and installed a new plug.:thumbsup:
Now the bike wont idle. When riding it wants to die between shifts.
The plug is gapped correctly and is the same as the one it replaced.
I needed to shorten the fuel line 1/2 inch to ensure smooth flow. It seems like the petcock is at a very very oh so very slight upward angle and the fuel line is pretty much flat going to the carb. I tried doubling up on the foam under the front of the tank in order to tilt the tank backward slightly but I cant tell if it worked or not.
I turned the big finger screw up in order to get it to stay running.
How'd it go when you all did yours?

• Dickie

Posted August 24, 2007 - 06:12 PM

I have a slightly different set up. I am running a Mikuni carb with mine and the tank didn't present any problems with the fuel lines or petcock. But it sounds to me like the fuel is not flowing properly, you should not have to adjust the idle at all. Is there a kink or pinch in the fuel line? Any fuel leaks? Does the gas cap have adequate ventilation? What about the plastic in-tank fiiter? Was it dirty, cracked, or clogged? Have you tried it on Reserve to see if it does performs the same way? I am no expert, just throwing out ideas.

• dezracerE

Posted August 24, 2007 - 06:35 PM

I would ck the plug.
If you had a fuel flow or vapor lock problem, it woul die at throttle- no so much idle.
Maybe loose plug or improper gap?

• wheelnut46

Posted August 24, 2007 - 07:02 PM

I'll work on it some more tomorrow. It seems like it's running hot.
Weird I know.
Please keep the ideas coming.

• goblin127

Posted August 24, 2007 - 08:29 PM

Check the plug again to make sure you didn't ding it when you put it in and also the plug wire. Aflat fuel line isn't such a good idea either.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zook350

Posted August 24, 2007 - 10:12 PM

if it ran fine with the other plug in it try putting it back in some plugs are bad out of the box

• wheelnut46

Posted August 25, 2007 - 12:09 PM

Just took it all apart AGAIN. The new plug was JET BLACK. I cant understand it. I didn't touch anything else. I put the old plug back in.
Drained some of the gas into a can. Flow from the fuel hose was excellent.
There's a bit of a hesitation when just sitting and revving it. Going to ride around the block once or twice and see how it works

• axarob44

Posted August 25, 2007 - 03:09 PM

I had something like this happen before when I put a new IMS tank on my CR500. After going crazy trying to figure it out, I found that the tank was not venting very well. The insert in the cap of IMS tank wouldnt vent. When I tried to ride it the damn thing would bog down and not run worth a crap.

• wheelnut46

Posted August 25, 2007 - 03:43 PM

I put the old plug back in and ran it. It blackened up in no time so I checked spark in both plugs - A-OK - so I cleaned and reinstalled the new one.
I had checked the gas tank vent. In fact I even unscrewed the lid some while riding to see if that was the culprit - it wasn't. Good idea though.

BUT...

I think I'm on the right path.
I wonder if i screwed up the choke cable when I put the new clutch cable on. If the choke was "on" all the time, that would make the plug black right? So I pulled the cable back towards the carb but just out of curiosity how do I know if it's set correctly or not.
Anyone have an idiots guide to choke cable adjustment?

By now the idle has been fiddled with so much I'm not sure where it should be. Set idle in driveway to nice comfortable place. Ride around some - engine's sputtering. Reach down and give the screw a turn - ride around some more - now it's racing.
:rant:

• Suds

Posted August 25, 2007 - 09:40 PM

I think I'm on the right path.
I wonder if i screwed up the choke cable when I put the new clutch cable on. If the choke was "on" all the time, that would make the plug black right? So I pulled the cable back towards the carb but just out of curiosity how do I know if it's set correctly or not.
Anyone have an idiots guide to choke cable adjustment?

Do you not have the service manual? MY choke never felt right on my new 07L, so I adjusted it when doing Daves mods.

"Loosen the SE valve and remove it from the carburetor. Turn the choke lever to fully open position and measure the clearance between the SE valve end and the cable threaded end.

Clearance = 1 - 2 mm

Adjust by loosening the lock nut and turning the adjuster to specified clearance."

Hope this helps...
Suds

• resslera

Posted August 26, 2007 - 06:24 AM

Definitely check for fuel cap venting. I replaced my cap to one of those billet ones and had similar problems until I cut more vent holes in the rubber.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.