Offroading 650L

13 replies to this topic
  • Suds

Posted August 23, 2007 - 06:58 PM

Me and my buddy did the full loop at Franklin State Forest today. It is one of the more forgiving of the single track available to us in Mass. Me on my new XR650l and him on a 230F that I sold him. The 230 was my first bike that I bought last year to learn on. I wanted something street legal, so I bought the 650. What a beast. Only dumped a few times though, once bending my front brake lever into a reverse C, and another time dropping it into a huge rut and bending the whole clutch assembly up into my gps mount and cracking the holder.
Oh well, had fun though. But not as much as the dude on the Yami 2 stroke that passed us twice, lol.
Just thought I'd share...:ride:

Suds

• hotdog7

Posted August 23, 2007 - 07:04 PM

Glad you had a good time I suggest you get some bark busters save you some money in the long run :thumbsup:

• Suds

Posted August 23, 2007 - 07:27 PM

Glad you had a good time I suggest you get some bark busters save you some money in the long run :thumbsup:

Yup, on my list. Those stock ones don't protect much...

Suds

• Rman of 237

Posted August 23, 2007 - 08:11 PM

Hey Suds, here is a link to a guy who simply dropped his bike on his driveway and sent his shifter through his left engine cover.:foul: Since you said your bike is new I thought you might be interested. I intend to do the mod at the end of the thread asap as I just ran across an 8"x8" piece of stainless.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=524154

Rman....

• Suds

Posted August 23, 2007 - 08:29 PM

Hey Suds, here is a link to a guy who simply dropped his bike on his driveway and sent his shifter through his left engine cover.:foul: Since you said your bike is new I thought you might be interested. I intend to do the mod at the end of the thread asap as I just ran across an 8"x8" piece of stainless.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=524154

Rman....

Yup, saw that post before. All I could think about when I dropped it in that huge rut was that I'd done the same thing. But then I realized that it was only fuel running out and not oil from a broken case. Lucky...
What a bitch picking the pig up from beyond vertical. Some how I managed without my buddy's help!
Suds

• martinfan30

Posted August 24, 2007 - 07:30 AM

get an MSR shifter. i tested it by dropping mine on the left side by accident and it didnt go through the cover.

• Avlar

Posted August 24, 2007 - 08:46 PM

That sounds remarkably similar to my experience about a week ago. I joined some friends near Rose City in Northern Michigan for a day on my first off-roading adventure. Add to that some slightly-too-worn stock tires and it was definitely an experience. I must say that I was slightly jealous of the other guys with their much lighter, strictly off-road bikes, but with some new tires (possibly a second set for pure off-road use) I think I'll get by just fine. Having a commuter vehicle that is great on gas and fun to bounce around town on more than makes up for it's deficiencies as a trail bike. There were lots of narrow sand trails surrounded by trees and I was quite nervous throughout the day. I ended up dumping it about 6 times that day, also bending my brake lever, but managed not to get hurt so I'm happy about it the experience. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GIANTac1

Posted August 24, 2007 - 10:08 PM

Yup, saw that post before. All I could think about when I dropped it in that huge rut was that I'd done the same thing. But then I realized that it was only fuel running out and not oil from a broken case. Lucky...
What a bitch picking the pig up from beyond vertical. Some how I managed without my buddy's help!
Suds

Picking up the bitch is a bitch huh! Couple more times and you will be BUFF!:applause:

• AtomicGeo

Posted August 25, 2007 - 04:14 PM

Picking up the bitch is a bitch huh! Couple more times and you will be BUFF!:applause:

Could be much worse if you try picking up a KLR650 or DR650...now those bikes are mother sows! :crazy:

• Rman of 237

Posted August 25, 2007 - 04:32 PM

Could be much worse if you try picking up a KLR650 or DR650...now those bikes are mother sows! :crazy:

HaHaHaHa LOL So true....

• Suds

Posted August 25, 2007 - 09:04 PM

That sounds remarkably similar to my experience about a week ago. I joined some friends near Rose City in Northern Michigan for a day on my first off-roading adventure. Add to that some slightly-too-worn stock tires and it was definitely an experience. I must say that I was slightly jealous of the other guys with their much lighter, strictly off-road bikes, but with some new tires (possibly a second set for pure off-road use) I think I'll get by just fine. Having a commuter vehicle that is great on gas and fun to bounce around town on more than makes up for it's deficiencies as a trail bike. There were lots of narrow sand trails surrounded by trees and I was quite nervous throughout the day. I ended up dumping it about 6 times that day, also bending my brake lever, but managed not to get hurt so I'm happy about it the experience. :)

Yup, I absolutely love ripping around town on the L. Almost feels illegal. I love the looks I get.
It's also good to know that I can take it offroad and make it out without too much trouble.
I will definitely be getting another offroad only bike once I pay off the 650.
Seems like the 2 strokes are really popular for woods riding. Thats all we saw that day in Franklin. Hmm...250xc-w???.

Suds

• Rman of 237

Posted August 26, 2007 - 03:32 AM

Yup, I absolutely love ripping around town on the L. Almost feels illegal. I love the looks I get.
It's also good to know that I can take it offroad and make it out without too much trouble.
Seems like the 2 strokes are really popular for woods riding. Thats all we saw that day in Franklin. Hmm...250xc-w???.

Suds

"Almost feels illegal"? Every time I pass a cop on the big highways they always do a u-turn and casually scope me out.:busted::p

• AtomicGeo

Posted August 26, 2007 - 08:18 AM

Suds

I am looking at doing the same...I have the XR650L; now I want something more nimble that can go over things that L can't...most probably a smaller off-road only bike...how about the CRF250X? :thumbsup:

Geo

• martinfan30

Posted August 26, 2007 - 02:00 PM

"Almost feels illegal"? Every time I pass a cop on the big highways they always do a u-turn and casually scope me out.:busted::p

same here, the NV. state troopers on their BMW's are always turning heads to see if i've got all the right lights, etc.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.