• zerofear66

Posted November 24, 2007 - 11:02 PM

"Upgrade your motor with an uncorking: $125.00"

" Block off the smog pump: $ 35.00"

" Try and start the thing with no gas, and a rag in the airboot: PRICELESS!"

Ok so I knew that was coming.....lol

• BBA

Posted November 25, 2007 - 05:35 AM

Man Im glad I read this topic!! I do things like this ALL the time!! I consider myself a decent mechanic and have been wrenching on my own bikes since the age of 8 but I seem to always forget to check gas, put the plug wire back on the sparkplug and then kick for 20 minutes trying to figure things out. It never seems to amaze me the little things I look over sometimes while working on my bikes. Thanks guys for letting me know Im not the only one out there that does stuff like this!!:thumbsup:

• zerofear66

Posted November 25, 2007 - 06:16 AM

Man Im glad I read this topic!! I do things like this ALL the time!! I consider myself a decent mechanic and have been wrenching on my own bikes since the age of 8 but I seem to always forget to check gas, put the plug wire back on the sparkplug and then kick for 20 minutes trying to figure things out. It never seems to amaze me the little things I look over sometimes while working on my bikes. Thanks guys for letting me know Im not the only one out there that does stuff like this!!:thumbsup:

Your NOT!....lol
Its funny...Ive built an AF 500 from scratch but I cant think to take the rag outta the air boot....
The last time I did that was when I was a 15 year old "expert" mechanic.....
:busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scalejockey

Posted November 25, 2007 - 07:38 AM

WOW this is good stuff!!! Just last week I forgot to put gas in my tank before I went (short 20 mile) ride. The bike was running bad on the way back and it still didn't hit me untill it died.I made it back coasting. I normaly run a IMS tank you can see the fuel level. And had forgotten that I had went riding in the middle of the week.

I blame it on getting old(er)

• redpigracer

Posted December 03, 2007 - 02:40 AM

hi fellow pig racer ,
I have had a love hate relationship with my pig as well , hated to start it , loved to rid it .
I answer my friend is an edelbrock carburettor , it is truely the fix all to all that ails this big pig as far as starting is concerned ,i have just bought one last month and really have seen a big difference .

Check out the edelbrock site , and go buy one , their not cheap , but anything that is truely good usually is not , and you wont be disapointed .

Signed bigpigracer

• Suikerland

Posted December 03, 2007 - 10:32 PM

Another starting fix which is truly dumb in it's simplicity:

I went through a few months of hard starting (plenty of kicking and kicking) and bad idling.
Then someone told me to to turn up the idle screw half a turn to slightly increase the idle speed - duh!

Starting problem solved instantly, idle good.

Never ignore the obvious!!

• DGA

Posted December 03, 2007 - 10:34 PM

Man I had a fight with my 650r last week. Since we added another child to the family I hadnt thrown a leg over the beast in about a year. Right before I parked it I put stabil in the gas and drained the edelbrock carb. It also had a new plug. I had it listed for sale much to my dismay in craiglist. A fella came to take a look at it. I pulled it out of the shed and 2 kicks later it started after sitting for a year. I was impressed. He rode it down the street and back and shot me a ridiculous lowball offer of $1500. He based his offer off of the 92 xr250 he bought from some guy a few years ago. Insulted, I sent him packing after letting him know id rather set it on fire and watch it burn rather than sell it to him for $1500. :thumbsup:

Anyway after that it sat for 4-5 more days in the garage. I decided to keep it. I went to start it to ride and it was a no go. I checked everything. I took the edelbrock apart as I figured it was the problem. Still no go. Wouldnt start at all. Pulled the plug, got spark. hmmm... plug was wet. I figured it was a screwed up float level. nope. Looked more closely at the plug and found the porcelain was cracked right where the numbers on the plug are. put in a new plug and it started right up! I spent at least 3 hours pulling my hair out on this thing. Then no one had the plug in stock. I had to order them from O'Reillys.

I have never ever in all my years had a cracked plug. Especially a new one.

Been runnin like a champ since. Only now its too cold to ride. oh well. Might think about workin on the suspension this winter.

Cheers!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.