problems w/rear axle nut

4 replies to this topic
  • Stumpy

Posted March 05, 2002 - 04:44 AM

I lost my rear axle nut in an enduro a while back. I replaced it with a new one and it started to back off again this weekend. The threads are good and its a brand new nut. Anybody else had this problem? I'm leaning towards the bearings being the problem... maybe. Any suggestions?

• lewichris

Posted March 05, 2002 - 04:49 AM

did you torqe it down to 85-95lbs. Try a little lock tite. Does it feel like your bearings are bad? Tire moves /knocks on your axle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YAMAKAZE

Posted March 05, 2002 - 09:10 AM

Stumpster....Book Torque is 90lbs...You can carefully drill a 1/16th pilot hole through the bolt and safety wire it to the frame. Even if the bolt loosens for some reason it's not coming off. I've don this successfully on many Bikes I've owned and worked on....

Bonzai :)

• big_G

Posted March 05, 2002 - 09:45 AM

The stocker is a locking nut, are you using a regular dude on there now?? If so, that would be the problem I'm sure.

• Stumpy

Posted March 06, 2002 - 03:41 AM

It is a stock replacement locknut, I have torqued it properly, I'm considering safety wiring it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.