WR450 05 Starter Noise / Occasonally will start

8 replies to this topic
  • dazzabb

Posted August 23, 2007 - 02:58 AM

Guy's,

Did a search of the above problem and it sounds like it might be the starter clutch? But I want some more advice.

A few weeks back my start button switch stuck and the starter motor could be heard running after the engine had started.

Replaced the start switch after a few more rides but now when I try to start always getting a weird whirling type noise and sometimes it will start with the button sometimes not. Battery is fully charged.

Always starts first time on the kicker but again the whirlly noise is present just as the engine fires up.

Have I f****d the starter by running around with a dodgy switch?

If so whats the best course of action?

Cheers

• willy_fitz

Posted August 26, 2007 - 04:07 PM

I had the bushing on the non-drive end give out and it would make extremely rude noises when trying to use the starter. Unfortunately Yamaha has determined it is not in their best interest to sell this part or any other part for the starter with the exception of the brushes. Unless you are resourceful and can outsource the required parts you will have to purchase the entire starter.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted August 26, 2007 - 06:51 PM

I have to same EXACT issue you describe on my 06 WR 450. It has not been ridden enough for it to wear out and my button has never stuck. I cannot believe it has a problem already. I talked to the techs at the dealership I bought it from and they say it is the starter clutch, and a rough cost for them to do all the work was $270. Which is damn expensive for somthing that should have not gone wrong to begin with.

• dazzabb

Posted August 27, 2007 - 02:25 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Jwar mine has about 8,000km from new, just hope the starter clutch is all it is, time to dive into the manual!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chipwich

Posted August 29, 2007 - 07:25 PM

My 04 did the exact thing and made the same sounds. I was charged for a starter motor. I had about $100 worth of other misc. work done, including a valve adjustment, and the total bill was $483. So, I suppose the starter part was about $360 + sales tax. I hated to spend the money, but it starts really easily now and runs strong.

• enduroman400

Posted August 30, 2007 - 03:20 AM

Hello had the problem with my 2005 wr450 very noisey starter , took it apart and the back bearing had gone the weak point on these starters , took it too a local engineering shop and thy pulled out the old bush and fitted a new one cost about $20 fixed

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted August 30, 2007 - 03:53 PM

the funny thing about mine is that sometimes it makes noise and will slip som much as to not turn the engine over, and other times it won't give me any problems at all. Today I rode it and not once did it make the noise. But the last time I rode it last week it made a bunch of noise.

• dazzabb

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:47 PM

the funny thing about mine is that sometimes it makes noise and will slip som much as to not turn the engine over, and other times it won't give me any problems at all. Today I rode it and not once did it make the noise. But the last time I rode it last week it made a bunch of noise.

You've got it! It not predictable at all, but a pain in the arse in the mountains when reverting to the kick start constantly.
Ordered a new starter clutch so will see how things look after that.

• carlsn

Posted May 15, 2008 - 08:19 PM

Hi Guys, had the same problem with my 03 wr450, starter spins and makes whiring noise but does not turn engine over, by luck every 20th time would start. If you look in the oil filler hole i could see the starter clutch turning.
Pulled it apart using $20 flywheel puller from ebay, found the spring inside the starter clutch failed, new starter clutch quoted at $160, too much for me! went to local bearing supplier found suitable spring in an oil seal part number 50 58 4 paid $7, need to unclip spring and cut @10mm off the spring and reclipped spring. i tested the fix in the hand to see it it grips oneway slips the other, note: use only minimal tension as required on the spring to engage it, due to it needing centrifugal force when running to stop it dragging and wearing. Dont forget to locktite the flywheel to starter clutch bolts. Hasn't missed a beat in 4 weeks now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.