suzuki pocket tester

5 replies to this topic
  • nashopolis

Posted August 22, 2007 - 08:57 PM

so i snickered when I first read the words suzuki pocket tester in my DR650 manual but now I wonder....

do i need one to accurately diagnose my 93 dr650's electrical system?
is a regular VOM meter going to be an okay substitution for the pocket meter?

the manual for my dr650 1993
says over and over to check the electrical system with a suzuki pocket tester
because of the use of scr and diodes that the resistance readings from another ohmmeter will not coincide with the measured readings given as manual specs

is that true?
is a reading at say measured at 1k ohm not the same on all meters? or at 20k?
maybe I am showing my ignorance
but
do I need to find a suzuki pocket tester to correctly diagnose my electrical system?

thanks

• GOTWHEELS

Posted August 23, 2007 - 03:54 AM

A good meter will read the same.

• mxrob

Posted August 23, 2007 - 06:27 AM

so i snickered when I first read the words suzuki pocket tester in my DR650 manual but now I wonder....

do i need one to accurately diagnose my 93 dr650's electrical system?
is a regular VOM meter going to be an okay substitution for the pocket meter?

the manual for my dr650 1993
says over and over to check the electrical system with a suzuki pocket tester
because of the use of scr and diodes that the resistance readings from another ohmmeter will not coincide with the measured readings given as manual specs

is that true?
is a reading at say measured at 1k ohm not the same on all meters? or at 20k?
maybe I am showing my ignorance
but
do I need to find a suzuki pocket tester to correctly diagnose my electrical system?

thanks

All you need is a VOM meter for any testing required in the service manual. No need to buy Suzuki's specific meter.

• nashopolis

Posted August 23, 2007 - 07:20 AM

thanks
i figured that was probably true

I am trying to ascertain whether my rectifier is working correctly or not
it is an aftermarket part so I wonder whether the specs in the manual will apply either way?

• mxrob

Posted August 23, 2007 - 09:07 AM

thanks
i figured that was probably true

I am trying to ascertain whether my rectifier is working correctly or not
it is an aftermarket part so I wonder whether the specs in the manual will apply either way?

Maybe not. Check the stator. If that is OK then it's most likely the rectifier/regulator as long as all other fuse, wiring and grounding issues are eliminated. Sometimes just the connector plugs can be of issue with high resistance. Check all the easy(cheaper) stuff first.

• nashopolis

Posted August 23, 2007 - 11:32 PM

thanks for the tips
will do
I think I need to find a nice primer on bike electrical systems as my knowledge on the subject is ever so slight

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.