New Muffler Getting Too Hot

11 replies to this topic
  • 02YZ426

Posted August 22, 2007 - 06:20 PM

No my header is not glowing LoL. . I just put an FMF Q4 on my YZ and it gets so hot its starting to melt my number plate! First thought that comes to mind is that jetting may be out, but the bike runs great as is. The instructions also say no jetting changes are required. So I have 2 questions. For guys who run this pipe, do you have this same issue? And would adding some kind of heat shielding material to the back side of the plate be the proper fix or is there another answer? Just to note there is plenty of space between the number plate and pipe.. also the graphics on the pipe have almost melted off. Thanks in advance for your imput :thumbsup:

• MRD RACING

Posted August 22, 2007 - 06:28 PM

No my header is not glowing LoL. . I just put an FMF Q4 on my YZ and it gets so hot its starting to melt my number plate! First thought that comes to mind is that jetting may be out, but the bike runs great as is. The instructions also say no jetting changes are required. So I have 2 questions. For guys who run this pipe, do you have this same issue? And would adding some kind of heat shielding material to the back side of the plate be the proper fix or is there another answer? Just to note there is plenty of space between the number plate and pipe.. also the graphics on the pipe have almost melted off. Thanks in advance for your imput :thumbsup:

it requires baffeling to quiet these bikes down , and baffeling causes the muffler to run allot hotter than a straight through design , its not a problem when trail riding , but it sounds like you are running your bike hard and its not uncomon to burn off the stickers and melt number plates when you run a quiet pipe hard , adding some heat shielding to the plate is about all you can do :thumbsup:

• 02YZ426

Posted August 22, 2007 - 06:58 PM

Thanks.. I didn't think of it that way. Anyone know of heat shielding that is sold specifically for something like this?

• ringding

Posted August 22, 2007 - 07:01 PM

yeah, there is a type of stick on sheilding, fox used to make it

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2007 - 05:54 AM

Your number plate should have something on the back of it on that side as it is, but if not, you need something like this:

http://shop.thumpert...fault.asp?p=478

• jrny426

Posted August 23, 2007 - 06:16 AM

when I had this problem there was no packing in the muffler.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KAS

Posted August 25, 2007 - 02:02 PM

How do you like the Q4 muffler, besides this problem?

Is it quiet? I'm really not worried about losing much power on a 450, I just need to quiet this thing down for the woods.

• GONE1445

Posted August 25, 2007 - 07:28 PM

your bike should have come stock with heat sheilding on the back of the number plate (mine is falling off big time so that might be why yours isn't there anymore)

• cowboyona426

Posted August 25, 2007 - 07:32 PM

The 06's, at least mine, don't come from the factory with any heat shield behind the side plate.

• MACHINEST

Posted August 25, 2007 - 07:34 PM

You can also use a spray ashesive and aluminum foil in layers just be sure to prep the surface and shiny side out.

• grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2007 - 09:15 PM

The 06's, at least mine, don't come from the factory with any heat shield behind the side plate.

That's how mine is, too. The add-on/replacement stuff from Maier or elsewhere will work, though.

• 02YZ426

Posted August 26, 2007 - 05:45 AM

How do you like the Q4 muffler, besides this problem?

Is it quiet? I'm really not worried about losing much power on a 450, I just need to quiet this thing down for the woods.

I like it.. looks trick, no jetting changes needed and it seems to kill how far the sound carries. Its not very quiet when your standing beside the bike revving it though. From what my friends have been telling me its just quieter from a distance.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.