'07 Kick Starting Troubles

18 replies to this topic
  • ich00012

Posted August 22, 2007 - 04:25 PM

the bike has been out about 20 times, last time I rode was three days ago... today, full tank of gas, turned on gas, pulled choke, and kick started for about 20 - 30 pumps:banghead: FYI. Tried to pull the hot start lever in just to see if bike thought that engine was already hot enough (that didn't work either.)

Ended up jump starting by running down and poppin' in 1st gear, warmed for 2 - 3 minutes and no probs after.

I live in Phoenix where temp reached 110 today, suspect the garage was about 120'ish. You think the heat has any effect on the YZ450f kick start? Or, is my technique not correct because used to starting a 2-stroke 250?? Answers...

• shortburb

Posted August 22, 2007 - 05:17 PM

gas on
choke on
twist throttle twice (but for your HOTasssstemps maybe once)
kick solidly all the way through....

• bigwake

Posted August 22, 2007 - 05:31 PM

ya..make sure that u take the slack out in the kick starter..kick from the highest point u can..that seems to do it for me

• Vinny2692

Posted August 22, 2007 - 05:33 PM

another thing, do not twist the throtle while you kick at all like you would to a 2-stroke.
But, whens the last time you checked your valves? Im no mechanic at all, but my friend had to bumb start his rmz, he said it was because his valves where out of spec, but hey, hes no mechanic either. And i highly doubt a 07's valves would have any issue, especially a yamaha's.

• ich00012

Posted August 22, 2007 - 06:39 PM

the last time valves were check'd; when the bike was inspected and tested about 2 weeks ago... i think pulling throttle once and then pumping lever AND my technique also probably still used to the 2-stroke, quick fire, pump... Bike seems to work super sweet ~ just need to personalize myself with it. I would recommend anybody else buying one! Got my off ebay, brand spankin' new '07 Yz450F, for $5,400 (pics to come...)

• bigwake

Posted August 22, 2007 - 07:24 PM

sweet deal man! got my 03 for $1600..love this thing!

• WB450

Posted August 23, 2007 - 07:06 AM

http://www.yamaha-mo....roke_vid_a.mpg

http://www.yamaha-mo....roke_vid_b.mpg

Sorry no worky.

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2007 - 07:29 AM

http://www.yamaha-mo....roke_vid_a.mpg

http://www.yamaha-mo....roke_vid_b.mpg

Sorry no worky.

You copied the link as displayed. That won't work. Open the link, then copy the complete one from the address window in the browser:

http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_a.mpg

http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_b.mpg

• motomanmike26

Posted August 23, 2007 - 08:10 AM

shim your valves, or get new ones. thats the first sign of needing to shim or get new valves.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2007 - 11:54 AM

shim your valves, or get new ones. thats the first sign of needing to shim or get new valves.

I would say, that while this is true in general, that would be extremely unlikely in this case:

the bike has been out about 20 times

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted August 23, 2007 - 07:34 PM

I would say, that while this is true in general, that would be extremely unlikely in this case:

My thoughts would be bad fuel causing the problems.

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2007 - 09:13 PM

My thoughts would be bad fuel causing the problems.

Could well be.

• ich00012

Posted August 23, 2007 - 09:59 PM

Cool. That video worked. I dont need to punked anymore how to start a bike. thanks for helping...

• ich00012

Posted August 28, 2007 - 09:40 PM

so, after viewing the video, I have a better understanding of the procedures to start my YZ450f. BUT, i still notice that double pumping throttle, finding the compression point, etc that the bike just doesn't start within the first 10 - 15 pumps.

I've noticed, giving it just a smigggin' of throttle on the start helps get it going with no probs after. Giving the teenniieee little bit of throttle bad?? You think the Pilot screw would be the next move to adjust? (its a new bike! 15 - 20 rides to give an estimate)

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2007 - 08:57 AM

I've noticed, giving it just a smigggin' of throttle on the start helps get it going with no probs after. Giving the teenniieee little bit of throttle bad?? You think the Pilot screw would be the next move to adjust? (its a new bike! 15 - 20 rides to give an estimate)

If cracking the throttle slightly makes it start, then do it. My '03 is like that.

In any case, you need to adjust your pilot screw for any significant change in altitude/weather.

• WB450

Posted August 29, 2007 - 09:38 AM

I haven't been riding for a while, but I've been starting my bike a couple of times a week. Now I'm having a hell of a time getting it started also. I have fresh gas in, and a fresh plug. I don't have many hours on it either. I just changed the flywheel and tank, but it started right up after the changes. I think I'm flooding it when I first try to start it, any thoughts? :banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2007 - 11:21 AM

Starting it up a couple times a week is probably the source of your problems. If you fail to bring the combustion chamber and oil up to full operating temperature, you contaminate the oil with fuel, and degrade the spark plug each time you do it.

• WB450

Posted August 29, 2007 - 12:07 PM

Starting it up a couple times a week is probably the source of your problems. If you fail to bring the combustion chamber and oil up to full operating temperature, you contaminate the oil with fuel, and degrade the spark plug each time you do it.

Thanks.

• WB450

Posted August 29, 2007 - 05:32 PM

I just installed a Zip Ty hot start nut, so I pulled the new plug, kicked it over a few times to make sure there was spark, put back together, fired right up. I just need to ride the hell out of it after it's been sitting.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.