Modify XR650L stock exhaust

8 replies to this topic
  • mclegg1967

Posted August 22, 2007 - 02:07 PM

I have a 2007 XR650L. I have removed the snorkel, gone to a UNI filter, switched to a 14T front sprocket and i am in the process of jetting to a 55/158, but before I do that I would like to know if I can modify my stock exhaust. I am not ready to lay out the cash yet for an after market system.:worthy:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 22, 2007 - 02:38 PM

If you cut the weld and pull the bolts at the outlet, you can pull the insert. That gains a little snap.

It was a little too loud (and oddly 'boomy') for me that way.

A sweet mod is to do that, and fab a turndown to direct the noise down.

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted August 22, 2007 - 02:40 PM

when i had my stock exhaust i did that too. i did help, but no more spark arrestor and it did sound sort of weird.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 22, 2007 - 03:18 PM

when i had my stock exhaust i did that too. i did help, but no more spark arrestor and it did sound sort of weird.

I'm pretty sure the insert is not the spark arrestor- its made like a glasspack muffler, a straight tube surrounded with fiberglass.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frank ZX

Posted August 22, 2007 - 05:18 PM

You can also grind the weld down inside head pipe where it bolts to the head,just don't go over flush inside the pipe.

• martinfan30

Posted August 22, 2007 - 08:46 PM

I'm pretty sure the insert is not the spark arrestor- its made like a glasspack muffler, a straight tube surrounded with fiberglass.

Dave

i only meant that the tube you pull out combined with the packing is a complete unit(being the arrestor). if the tube is gone the whole unit is not functioning as the design was made to be.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 23, 2007 - 08:39 AM

i only meant that the tube you pull out combined with the packing is a complete unit(being the arrestor). if the tube is gone the whole unit is not functioning as the design was made to be.

Its been awhile since I've had mine out, but I don't think the outside of the tube you pull is poart of the 'revese flow' section of that type of arrestor.

Only looked down there once, though, and I didn't think the removable ports for cleaning the carbon out went to around the tube.

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted August 23, 2007 - 08:44 AM

you may be right but the removable core sure looks like it has something to do with the"arresting of the spark":busted:

• motomonte

Posted August 23, 2007 - 05:28 PM

As far as I know the spark arrestor works by sending the sparks into contact with the pipe walls,thats why you remove the two bolts under the pipe,plug the exhaust with a rag and rev the engine to blow out the carbon deposits.How its achieved I don't remember well,it may be by creating a vortex or turbulence.Not sure if removing the packing will alter this.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.