What will these 2 mods on my new XL650 do?

5 replies to this topic
  • xrberg

Posted August 22, 2007 - 10:48 AM

2003 XR650L 500 miles

Thinking of leaving the carb mods alone for now since I only have 500 miles on my bike. I'm a pretty goosd DIY mechanic but I just dont have the nuts to drill that sucker out. so..........
Just wondering if I just remove the air pump and charcoal canister and maybe add a supertrap if I'd be good to go and get some decent performance. It seems like a uncorked 250 right now. What can I expect with just those mods.

oh and btw I have a supertrapp off one of my XR250rs and it looks like it will fit.. anyone chime in and tell me it will be too restrictive?

opinions appreciated

• martinfan30

Posted August 22, 2007 - 10:58 AM

2003 XR650L 500 miles

Thinking of leaving the carb mods alone for now since I only have 500 miles on my bike. I'm a pretty goosd DIY mechanic but I just dont have the nuts to drill that sucker out. so..........
Just wondering if I just remove the air pump and charcoal canister and maybe add a supertrap if I'd be good to go and get some decent performance. It seems like a uncorked 250 right now. What can I expect with just those mods.

oh and btw I have a supertrapp off one of my XR250rs and it looks like it will fit.. anyone chime in and tell me it will be too restrictive?

opinions appreciated

drilling the slide is very straight forward and will cause no prob. unless you drill out the needle hole!LOL!
removing the smog/charcoal cannister does very little other than save a bit of weight.
if you put on that s.trapp, it wont run right w/o doing the carb mods--will be even more stupidly lean.
so do the carb stuff with the pipe. the smog removal can be done by itself.

• COAL RUN

Posted August 22, 2007 - 11:50 AM

If you dont want to drill the slide you would at least need the jet kit

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted August 22, 2007 - 11:52 AM

i did both. had great t. response. but now the fcr 41 rips!

• Denn10

Posted August 22, 2007 - 11:52 AM

you dont need the jet kit you can just get jets. I would do the carb mods and rejet cuase stock jetting is known to be lean, so unless you riding from about 6k feet and up your prolly off a bit. I was a bit scared too to drill the slide but i just did it in a few steps like 2 smaller bits till i got the 5/32 last one its easy once its over and youll like the 250 power increase double.

• Frank ZX

Posted August 22, 2007 - 12:31 PM

Drilling the slide does wonders,along with larger jets,and shimming the needle.My 02 would only pull the front tire in first gear before.Now I cruise along in 2nd,pin the throttle and it's a unicycle.lol.It's the biggest performance gain for the buck.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.