'04 YZ450F "NEW" Clutch Kit Installation ???

10 replies to this topic
  • MXDKP

Posted August 22, 2007 - 10:39 AM

I am currently having some clutch/shifting issues with my '04 Yamaha YZ450F. Of course, I verifed the clutch lever/cable is working and there's the usual 1/8" of free-play to my clutch lever. So, I decided to remove my clutch cover and analyze the clutch and friction plates, inside. I utilized a micrometer and noticed that most of the plates were "below" specification, per my Yamaha owner's manual. So, knowing this, I decided to purchase an aftermarket clutch kit....a Barnett Carbon Fiber w/springs total clutch kit.
This upcoming weekend I am going to "replace" the existing clutch & friction plates inside the clutch basket with this "brand new" clutch kit. I just wanted to know one thing......is it "highly recommended" to drain all the oil out of my bike before installing this new clutch kit ? If so, then why ?

Fellow Thumper Rider,
:thinking: MXDKP

• dr x

Posted August 22, 2007 - 01:39 PM

No if you've changed it recently just laen it over at an angle, if you are due an oil change might as well do it when you do the clutch..

Hope this helps j

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2007 - 03:46 PM

Run the engine up long enough to clear the sump, and you don't even need to lay it over.

• MXDKP

Posted August 22, 2007 - 05:31 PM

No if you've changed it recently just laen it over at an angle, if you are due an oil change might as well do it when you do the clutch..

Hope this helps j

Thanks for the feedback brother....much appreciated. I did replace the oil about a month ago, if that. I'm under the impression that my bike has "only 1 fluid/oil" flowing through it, as well as the frame, thus it being a "wet-sump" system.....RIGHT ? I'm still in the learning stages, with regards to maintenance on this bike I just got over a year ago. This will be my first clutch kit install, ever. Certainly appreciate any response you might have. Thanks for your help !

MXDKP

• MXDKP

Posted August 22, 2007 - 05:32 PM

Run the engine up long enough to clear the sump, and you don't even need to lay it over.

Thanks for the feedback brother....much appreciated. I did replace the oil about a month ago, if that. I'm under the impression that my bike has "only 1 fluid/oil" flowing through it, as well as the frame, thus it being a "wet-sump" system.....RIGHT ? I'm still in the learning stages, with regards to maintenance on this bike I just got over a year ago. This will be my first clutch kit install, ever. Certainly appreciate any response you might have. Thanks for your help !

MXDKP

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted August 22, 2007 - 05:37 PM

I am currently having some clutch/shifting issues with my '04 Yamaha YZ450F. Of course, I verifed the clutch lever/cable is working and there's the usual 1/8" of free-play to my clutch lever. So, I decided to remove my clutch cover and analyze the clutch and friction plates, inside. I utilized a micrometer and noticed that most of the plates were "below" specification, per my Yamaha owner's manual. So, knowing this, I decided to purchase an aftermarket clutch kit....a Barnett Carbon Fiber w/springs total clutch kit.
This upcoming weekend I am going to "replace" the existing clutch & friction plates inside the clutch basket with this "brand new" clutch kit. I just wanted to know one thing......is it "highly recommended" to drain all the oil out of my bike before installing this new clutch kit ? If so, then why ?

Fellow Thumper Rider,
:thinking: MXDKP

If the old clutch was slipping then I'd change the oil.

• dr x

Posted August 22, 2007 - 06:29 PM

It is known as a dry sump system as no oil is stored in the sump, 642mx is right if the clutch has been slipping for a month your oil will be contaminated with clutch particles.

You can download a manual free if you have'nt got one (cant find the link at the moment)

• 642MX

Posted August 22, 2007 - 06:38 PM

Here is the link for the manual: http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• MXDKP

Posted August 22, 2007 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the advice fellers....I will definitely change the oil, as suggested. Any particular oil you recommend, by chance ?

MXDKP

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2007 - 06:10 AM

I'm under the impression that my bike has "only 1 fluid/oil" flowing through it, as well as the frame, thus it being a "wet-sump" system.....RIGHT ?

Your impression is correct, but the assumption you drew from it is not.

Your bike does use the same oil for both the engine and trans, but it is not a wet sump. Wet sumps are like what a typical car engine, and most modern motorcycles have, where the oil reservoir is placed below the crankcase, and a single oil pump placed in the reservoir. Oil is pumped through the lube circuitry, and simply drains back to the pan.

A dry sump is more complicated, and technically superior in several ways. Oil is stored separately in a remote reservoir, or tank, in this case, in the frame (in '06 and later YZ450's, the "tank" is in the front of the engine cases, but it's still separate). Oil is pumped from the tank through the lube circuit, then drains back to the sump. Here, however, a second pump that moves oil at twice the speed of the first picks up the oil and returns it to the tank, leaving the sump "dry".

as to whether you should salvage your month old oil, I wouldn't recommend it. If you use a high grade, properly blended MC oil, your oil should be changed every 3-4 rides if you're a casual trail rider, 2-3 rides if you run it hard. If you use automotive oil, you should change it not less than every two.

Read:

http://www.thumperta...432#post2685432

• MXDKP

Posted August 24, 2007 - 06:40 AM

To: GrayRacer513

Thanks for all this info....I didn't realize that I had a "dry sump" system here, with my YZ450F. Most importantly, thanks for informing me about the difference between a "wet sump" and "dry sump" system....now, I feel a "little more educated" on my bike's makeup. I certainly enjoy this website, because of guys like yourself who don't mind sharing your experience and knowledge when it comes to maintaining our machines......THANKS for your explanation and feedback, brother.....much appreciated !!!

Fellow dirtbike enthusiast,
MXDKP

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.