650R coolant drain bolt looks like crap

4 replies to this topic
  • resslera

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:57 PM

Upon changing the coolant on my 03 650R, I noticed the end of the coolant drain bolt on the water pump looked like crap. The threads looked thin and pretty defective. I noticed in another forum someone mentioned this about their bike as well.

Anyone else noticed this? Every other bolt on this bike looks fine so it would make me wonder what the deal is with the drain bolt? I was wondering if it is a sharper thread or somehting but I doubt it.

• eastreich

Posted August 22, 2007 - 10:13 AM

Corrosion.

If you are really worried about it, replace the bolt with a new one, but it will look the same over time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • resslera

Posted August 22, 2007 - 05:52 PM

Look the same over time? That was the first time that bolt had ever been pulled on this bike so it should have looked new unless it is just has odd threads which is what I was trying to inquire about. Nope, not pulling the bolt until I change the coolant again. I have never had such a mess when pulling the drain bolt. My CR250 was a much cleaner job. Stupid design that the bolt is so extended for that water pump.

• eastreich

Posted August 23, 2007 - 06:55 AM

Stupid design that the bolt is so extended for that water pump.

The waterpump on the 650R is designed to be a quick change unit if damage were to occur in racing (i.e. Baja). It is completely external to the engine, and can be complete switched out in a pit stop in under a minute if you were good at it (and I bet Team Honda is). This also ensures that if damage to the waterpump occurs, it does not also damage the cases.

For what it is, it's an ingenious design IMO.

• resslera

Posted August 23, 2007 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the education. Wasn't aware of the design. Screw is still jacked up looking.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.