07 WR450f speed issue

42 replies to this topic
  • bodi

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:11 PM

Need comments on if it is normal to expect only 70mph from my new 07 WR450f. I haven't done any mods yet but I cant believe that I can get another 30mph from the mods. I seem to top at right at 70mph. Everything seems perfect otherwise. It has nice power on the trails but on the straight away I top out in 5th and need more. Maybe my speedometer is not set correctly but I would have assumed that it would be set right from the factory.

what speeds have you guys seen with and without the mods.

thanks,

bodi

• KennyMc

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:35 PM

Bodi,

The bikes come with a throttle stop that only allows half throttle. You will need to replace the throttle stop with the one from a YZ. You can search for all of the other mods to do to bring the beast alive.:ride:

Ken

• jpoehls

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:38 PM

Are you running the stock 13/51 sprocket set up?

I am still in break-in and have not taken bike over 7,000 RPM's on my GYTR Hour/RPM guage (and the book states to keep it under this range in break-in).

I would concur with you that some of the speeds listed in this forum seem pretty high. But the red-line is 12,000 RPM's, so the speeds are attainable, but the bike is running hard at this level. I think the bike is running pretty hard at 70. I would consider changing sprockets to make it run easier, but then if you ride in the rocks and climb as myself, you loose the slow powerful grunt.

I think 6 gears, with the 6th gear set to run very high speed would be an awesome improvement for this bike. KTM and Husky have it, but then they have their downsides. If the WR had 6 gears...it would be heaven for the rider who wants top end speed. The only other problem you encounter is that these lighter bikes do not have the stability at higher speeds like say a DRZ400 or heavier bike.

• bodi

Posted August 21, 2007 - 07:02 PM

I have ran through 5 tanks of gas without hitting high rpm at least not for very long.. Today since I was done with the breakin I rode it as hard as I could and I am pleased for the most part just was surpised to only see 70mph in the straights. Not sure what my sproket setup is but I picked it up from a dealer as is so it must be whatever they stock from the factory. I need to research the mods to pimp it out more is my guess.

• -Splinter

Posted August 21, 2007 - 07:37 PM

Bodi,

The bikes come with a throttle stop that only allows half throttle. You will need to replace the throttle stop with the one from a YZ. You can search for all of the other mods to do to bring the beast alive.:ride:

Ken

How much of an increase will replacing the throttle stop be? (in mph)

• bodi

Posted August 21, 2007 - 07:49 PM

I am wondering the same thing. I have read through all the mods fourms on the WR450 that I could but all I see is everyone saying that it goes from a dud to a stud in performance but I would love to know the actual difference in mph.

If my bike is average to what everone else bought stock 70mph is max..

with the mods =?

also can I disconnect the grey wire without doing the AIS kit removal? It will be a while to get the kit and I would like to pimp my bike out ASAP even before the kit is recieved. I am sure the answer is in the mods section so I will keep looking but I appreciate any quick answers..

thanks,

bodi

• KennyMc

Posted August 21, 2007 - 08:16 PM

I have only had my bike for a few months so all of my riding has been in the mountains so I haven't pushed the limit yet. A friend has an 06 WR450 and we were out in Johnson Valley this past winter and he had it up to 83 mph on Soggy drylake.

I don't think you get the big increase in total mph with the throttle stop removed. You just get there a whole lot quicker. He rode his bike once out there and he couldn't make it half way up the sand hill. Once the stop was replaced, no problem (except rider skill).

From what I have read, the grey wire removal goes along with the AIS removal. I never rode my bike in stock form. I did all of the mods before it hit any dirt so I can't speak to the difference.:ride:

• bodi

Posted August 21, 2007 - 08:32 PM

I appreciate the replies. One last question. Is there any mods I can do that do not require me to order anything? Basically is there something I can do to increase my performance right away? It seems reading through the mod section that all of them require something to be purchased. I plan to do the full mods but need performance quick (by tomorrow.. riding with buddies in the afternoon)

thanks,

bodi

• KennyMc

Posted August 21, 2007 - 09:02 PM

The truly free mods would be:

1) Baffle removal (I put a FMF TI Powercore slip-on my bike so you would need to read up on how to do this). These bikes come pretty stuffed up.

2) Remove the rubber snorkel on top of the air box to allow more air flow.

The rest pretty much require some form of cash outlay.

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 21, 2007 - 09:55 PM

I don't think you get the big increase in total mph with the throttle stop removed. You just get there a whole lot quicker.

The throttle stop limits the opening to 1/2. If you're reaching 70 mph in 5th with the throttle stop, cut it down or replace with a YZ throttle stop and tell me what you get.

These bike will top out in the mid 90s (uncorked but otherwise stock). I've had mine in the low 70s in 4th but the motor was kind screaming (not hitting rev limiter though)

Just for shits and grins I'm gonna see what the speed is at 1/2 throttle in 5th. Its probably gonna be pretty close to 70

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xrmarty

Posted August 21, 2007 - 10:23 PM

Mine will go over 70mpr with stock gearing, but it screams for mercy:eek: I would not want to go above 75mpr for a sustained amount of time in fear of blowing the motor.

• xrmarty

Posted August 21, 2007 - 10:30 PM

The truly free mods would be:

1) Baffle removal (I put a FMF TI Powercore slip-on my bike so you would need to read up on how to do this). These bikes come pretty stuffed up.

2) Remove the rubber snorkel on top of the air box to allow more air flow.

The rest pretty much require some form of cash outlay.

I would add the throttle stop. You can cut it for free:thumbsup:

• BOBR

Posted August 22, 2007 - 09:21 AM

I appreciate the replies. One last question. Is there any mods I can do that do not require me to order anything? Basically is there something I can do to increase my performance right away? It seems reading through the mod section that all of them require something to be purchased. I plan to do the full mods but need performance quick (by tomorrow.. riding with buddies in the afternoon)

thanks,

bodi

I'm just curious why you have this need to do 100 mph. Where are you going riding??...the 405 Fwy!!! I had several WR's, currently I have on 06'. I've raced the National Hare and Hound desert series for many years and have never really had a problem with the top speed on my bike.

So I'm just curious what type of riding your doing?

• KennyMc

Posted August 22, 2007 - 09:28 AM

I would add the throttle stop. You can cut it for free:thumbsup:

DOH!:bonk:

• Michigan DS

Posted August 22, 2007 - 10:22 AM

I've seen 82-83 mph and think it might have another 4 or 5 mph left in her... I just could not bring myself to push her that hard.

07 WR450, Throttle stop mod, JD jetting (168 main, red needle #5 position), Airbox mod, exhaust thing removed, IMS 3.1, license plate. I weigh about 200 with gear. Michigan-1000' MSL

I just installed the FMF TI but have not ridden it yet. Also have the Guts tall soft seat kit on the way. Not sure what the latter has to do with speed but thought I would throw it in there anyway.

These are my results. Your results may vary.

Take Care,

Doug

• Merlin450

Posted August 22, 2007 - 01:28 PM

I'm just curious why you have this need to do 100 mph. Where are you going riding??...the 405 Fwy!!! I had several WR's, currently I have on 06'. I've raced the National Hare and Hound desert series for many years and have never really had a problem with the top speed on my bike.

So I'm just curious what type of riding your doing?

I hit the 70's on a regular basis and that's strictly woods riding, tight and open. My GPS holds a max speed, so I know for sure. If the trail(s) would allow it I'd have it pinned in 5th. The wife says I am an adrenaline junkie and ride on the ragged edge.:crazy:

• BOBR

Posted August 22, 2007 - 02:37 PM

I hit the 70's on a regular basis and that's strictly woods riding, tight and open. My GPS holds a max speed, so I know for sure. If the trail(s) would allow it I'd have it pinned in 5th. The wife says I am an adrenaline junkie and ride on the ragged edge.:crazy:

Oh, make no mistake I believe in leaning on the throttle!! Out here in the CA deserts the WR works best in 5th gear hauling ass, the suspension the handling everyting just comes together the faster you go. I just didn't understand why the dude that started this thread needed to do 100 mph. The best guys in the desert out here: Pros like Destry Abbott & Russ Pearson and guys like that rarely get going that fast.

• Charles De Mar

Posted August 22, 2007 - 02:44 PM

I have had my '06 at 88mph(forest roads) before I was to tweeked to look at the speedo! I would guess it topped out at mid 90's. Definite rush!

• throttlejockey154

Posted August 22, 2007 - 02:48 PM

I had mine up to 86 on a flat, wide open OHV road. little shaky, but the motor sounded good.

• kevinwr450f

Posted August 22, 2007 - 06:32 PM

Need comments on if it is normal to expect only 70mph from my new 07 WR450f. I haven't done any mods yet but I cant believe that I can get another 30mph from the mods. I seem to top at right at 70mph. Everything seems perfect otherwise. It has nice power on the trails but on the straight away I top out in 5th and need more. Maybe my speedometer is not set correctly but I would have assumed that it would be set right from the factory.

what speeds have you guys seen with and without the mods.

thanks,

bodi

I've had mine 96mph before jetting. I have free mods done and a FMF TI Powercore slip-on. I just re-jetted with a JD kit. I should see around 100mph :eek: I've found 90 plus is fun, but if you happen to come off... not so fun:thumbsdn:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.