first 15 miles on 07 wr 450

30 replies to this topic
  • chevytrkn1

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:07 PM

Picked up bike tonight, Love the looks,suspension,and the feel sitting on it, Cant beleive how bad it runs with the throttle stop in place. My 04 xr 400 would smoke it setup the way it is now. Got a bunch of goodies coming, unabiker rad. gaurds, jd jetting, ais kit, twin air filter, fmf powercore slip on,

next get IMS tank, maybe guts softer seat, WOuld like to get some protection, skid plate,frame gaurds etc.

gonna luv it.

• chevytrkn1

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:36 PM

Also does anyone know where to purchase a magnetic oil plug?
thanks

• Summit

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:53 PM

I can't believe some dealers send them out the door without at least doing the free mods. My dealer had mine running awesome when I picked it up... all that stuff done.

• KennyMc

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:54 PM

Moose Racing makes a magnetic drain plug and F2racing makes a magnetic filler plug. I have no experience with either though.

• clark4131

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:58 PM

15 miles on the bike? Dump the oil and change out the filter, then do it again in another 100 miles. You'll thank me later...SC

• chevytrkn1

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:59 PM

Summit the dealer would have done it if i wanted for free, But i like to tear things down when i buy something, gives me time to learn and check all bolts,etc. I got a boat load of stuff coming and hope its here before the weekend, Give me something to do friday so i can ride it good saturday.

excited

does anyone know if the 07 YZ skid plates will fit the 07 Wr, cant seem to find one listed anywhere for the 07 wr 450.

thanks

• Beejay

Posted August 21, 2007 - 07:16 PM

Also does anyone know where to purchase a magnetic oil plug?
thanks

Right here in the TT store.

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 21, 2007 - 10:31 PM

I can't believe some dealers send them out the door without at least doing the free mods. My dealer had mine running awesome when I picked it up... all that stuff done.

In CA its actually against the law. The sales manager at the dealer I bought mine at said they have to deliver it in the state of tune that they submitted it for CARB green sticker testing. Even on the red sticker MX bikes the dealer technically cannot change the fuel screw setting

That two hours you spend doing the free mods, consider it bonding with your bike :lol:

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 21, 2007 - 10:36 PM

does anyone know if the 07 YZ skid plates will fit the 07 Wr, cant seem to find one listed anywhere for the 07 wr 450.

thanks

No, the mounting holes are differernt for the YZ. You can drill a YZ skidplate to work with the WR mounting holes, but it would be easier to buy a WR specific skid plate from utah sport cycle

http://utahsportcycle.com/utahscFC.htm

part # 272. PM Kyle Prior from the TT store and he should be able to set you up (the TT skidplate is the same thing as the utah sport cycle one)

• chevytrkn1

Posted August 22, 2007 - 04:21 AM

Beejay would you happen to know what part number that oil plug is, The only one i can find on there is for 03-06yz/wr are they the same?
thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RickSanson

Posted August 22, 2007 - 05:31 AM

Watch that air filter and I don't just mean the aforementioned hole either!

I am about 4 weeks ahead of you. 6.5 hours on the bike right now. Unabiker, Moose bark buster, Scotts steering stab, JD Jets, crankcase vent mod and pulled off the tail pipe, AIS is gone and air filter fixed.

Powercore and 12T counter sprocket will be here Friday. Gray wire and airbox mod TBD.

I went riding this last weekend, the first real ride on the thing (:applause: ) and it was quite dusty. I took off the stock filter and there was a very, very thin but detectable layer of dust after the air filter. I don't know what would be considered acceptable but that wasn't what I expected.

Unacceptable to me!

I ordered the Twin Air filter and condom. The TT guy I spoke to said that he rides the desert and uses Twin Air exclusively.

• MHubacek

Posted August 22, 2007 - 09:33 AM

F2racing.net has magnetic timing plug covers, and magnetic oil filler caps. You can pickup all three for about $50. I just purchased them for my 07 wr450f and they look great.

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 22, 2007 - 10:22 AM

I took off the stock filter and there was a very, very thin but detectable layer of dust after the air filter. I don't know what would be considered acceptable but that wasn't what I expected.

I saw the same thing. It looked like either dust or gainy plastic. I wiped my finger on the airboot and nothing showed up :confused:

Regardless, the stock filter is getting shit-canned. Twin air lists the filters as 03-07, does that mean a twin air for an 03-04 would fit? SJMC DON would know as he's had pretty much every generation of WR made

• RickSanson

Posted August 22, 2007 - 12:11 PM

BTW JS, which leak jet are you running?

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 22, 2007 - 12:26 PM

Stock. Works awesome with my set up. Quick blips are instantanious and have no bog. I did the o-ring mod though

• chevytrkn1

Posted August 22, 2007 - 05:28 PM

changed oil when i got home and did another 40 miles tonight, Almost torture having the throttle stop in there, cant wait tell all my stuff arrives and get it runnin like it should

• kevinwr450f

Posted August 22, 2007 - 06:28 PM

This bike is very fast with free mods, pipe and jetting. Roll on wheelies in 4th gear happen.

• Michigan DS

Posted August 22, 2007 - 07:20 PM

Rick S,

How do you like that Scotts Stabilizer? Do you do a triple clamp or stock?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

• chevytrkn1

Posted August 22, 2007 - 07:21 PM

Has anyone geared theres down lower at all, I was on some tight technical tonight and thought it could use a bit lower gearing, Hard to judge though until i get all the mods done?
thanks

I also noticed quite alot of heat coming off the exhaust, anyone have there header ceramic coated? I did that on my 2006 brute force 750 cause of the heat on the leg, helped alot and was not that expensive. I bet for the bike it would be under $40, I might do that this winter.

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 22, 2007 - 08:41 PM

I also noticed quite alot of heat coming off the exhaust, anyone have there header ceramic coated? I did that on my 2006 brute force 750 cause of the heat on the leg, helped alot and was not that expensive. I bet for the bike it would be under $40, I might do that this winter.

Rejetting it makes it run alot cooler

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.