Parts prices

13 replies to this topic
  • mike_dean

Posted August 21, 2007 - 12:16 PM

Just curious, maybe some dealership people could respond, does your local dealer charge more than MSRP? My dealer $31 part, MSRP $26, online $23, and what do you think is fair? Mike

• yz426em

Posted August 21, 2007 - 12:42 PM

Which particular part are you wondering about? I could check for you:ride:

• blue9red9

Posted August 21, 2007 - 12:42 PM

The dealer is probably covering shipping to them by jacking the price over MSRP. Ours would do the same thing. No breaks, ever, and you always pay when you order no matter what the part is. That's the dealer that does Suz. Yam. and Kaw. At the honda place, you pay when you get the part but it's equally expensive plus it seems more.

• Erik47

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:25 PM

just buy parts online, theyll be to you in 2 days usually and are way cheaper, i went to pick up an extra set of levers for my old ktm and the clutch and break were 40 bucks total, but i needed them that day to go riding just in case i broke 1 (usually if you have spares, you wont break any, but if you dont have spares i always seen to ruin a day of riding by breaking 1)

• mike_dean

Posted August 22, 2007 - 08:16 AM

The part I'm talking about is the plastic flap below the airbox in frt of the rear tire. Mike

• yz426em

Posted August 22, 2007 - 08:31 AM

Its $23.99 at my dealer. So maybe your dealer has their prices alittle off.

• GENE426

Posted August 22, 2007 - 08:35 AM

They raise the prices to what ever they think they can get!!!!
Pisses me off
bought a Oil drain bolt for 14.79 which was way more than msrp
Yam of troy had it for 4.68 so I asked him (The guy is a friend of a friend who owns the dealership too)
and he said Yehh Well they dont hav eit in San Antonio and you prob want to go ride so here is the price

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2007 - 09:17 AM

Assuming it's the one for your '00, 5BE-21642-00-00, TT OEM lists the retail at $25.12, and they sell it for under $18.

• YamahaThumper

Posted August 22, 2007 - 09:21 AM

Our shop sells retail, no need to raise the prices. We make enough profit off them at that price as it is. Dealer cost is nothing, and thats were most of the profit comes from. I can see if your a real small shop and you dont get alot of traffic, but we have lots of people come in. Our shop mainly depends on the service and parts department, because of sales bein so slow.

• 642MX

Posted August 22, 2007 - 09:46 AM

The part I'm talking about is the plastic flap below the airbox in frt of the rear tire. Mike

UFO makes one for $11.99.

• 642MX

Posted August 22, 2007 - 09:50 AM

http://www.crotchrocket.com has the 5BE-21642-00-00 for $16.60

The local dealers around here suck too. I would like to support them, but they are out of their minds.

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2007 - 09:53 AM

Our shop sells retail, no need to raise the prices. I can see if your a real small shop and you dont get alot of traffic, ...

That's the government style approach; if you're not getting enough revenue from, say, bus fares, you raise the price of the fare. Then they can't figure out why ridership falls off and they get even less revenue.

Successful private businesses reduce prices when traffic is down, sometimes even using "loss leaders", products sold at or below cost to attract customers.

Unsuccessful businesses operate like the government, and wonder why no one shops there.

• mike_dean

Posted August 22, 2007 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I got screwed, I didn't really need the part right away and they had to order it anyway, I'll mail order from now on probably from TT. This shop is in Madison WI, and is not a small shop, they have Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda. I called one of the shops in the replies just to check, and they said they had it in stk and would be to me in 3 days if I wanted it. I made 5 more phone calls and my local shop is at least $4 more than the rest. I'll go out of town to buy my next bike also. Thanks, Mike
p.s. Thanks 642MX, for that website.

• Quack

Posted August 22, 2007 - 05:43 PM

Mike Dean,

I really dont like dealing with any of the shops in Madison. I try to do as much online as I can, or I deal with Rock River, they seem to be a little better.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.