Used RV Values - how much to pay?

46 replies to this topic
  • Brian Wilson

Posted August 21, 2007 - 10:55 AM

Ok, so I know you can look up used values for RV's on nada.com

nada.com lists high and low retail values though.

So anyone know how to determine a way to come up with a fair price for a private party purchase?

I'll be starting to shop for an RV this fall, and I really have no idea how to determine if it's a good price since all NADA lists is retail values for RV's.

Is there a general rule of them, like a certain percentage below retail value, or a certain dollar amount below retail value?

Come you RV experts, give me some pointers so I don't get screwed!

• Red-rider00

Posted August 21, 2007 - 11:24 AM

Hey Brian,

I don't know if I would be buying used because of inheritance of others problems.

I know, I’m probably going to get $h!t for this, but, in fact I know I will, but on a new trailer, I would only offer $1,000 per foot, OTD, Weekend Warrior no longer accepts these offers though. I know you’re in Nevada, but the Sand Sport Super Show is coming up next month in Costa Mesa, there will be a bunch of New Trailers there and most of the Dealers don't want to take them back to the dealership, you might want to head down and check it out and make an offer.

http://www.sandsportssupershow.com/

We're going Sept 16, the last day, I can meet up with you and talk to some of the dealers. At this time what ever is not sold there more then willing to take the offer.

Hey I did forget to ask, what kind of truck do you have, Make, Year & Model?

• Kyron

Posted August 21, 2007 - 11:44 AM

Start looking at them now and by the fall you'll know whats fair.

• Brian Wilson

Posted August 21, 2007 - 12:39 PM

Hey Brian,

I don't know if I would be buying used because of inheritance of others problems.

I know, I’m probably going to get $h!t for this, but, in fact I know I will, but on a new trailer, I would only offer $1,000 per foot, OTD, Weekend Warrior no longer accepts these offers though. I know you’re in Nevada, but the Sand Sport Super Show is coming up next month in Costa Mesa, there will be a bunch of New Trailers there and most of the Dealers don't want to take them back to the dealership, you might want to head down and check it out and make an offer.

http://www.sandsportssupershow.com/

We're going Sept 16, the last day, I can meet up with you and talk to some of the dealers. At this time what ever is not sold there more then willing to take the offer.

Hey I did forget to ask, what kind of truck do you have, Make, Year & Model?

I don't want a trailer, I already have one of those.

Time to move up to an RV for me

• TooFast

Posted August 21, 2007 - 01:05 PM

IMO, when gas/diesel hit $3/gallon, the value of all RV's fell big time. Wherever I go there are storage lots of these things that haven't moved for a long time. Supply exceeds demand. I wouldn't offer more than 50 cents on the dollar of NADA low value.

• Red-rider00

Posted August 21, 2007 - 01:06 PM

LOL, I must have been on crack when I wrote that. But the dealers will still be at the Sand Show. I wont be moving up to an RV anytime soon, so sorry I could'nt help.

• Chickenhauler

Posted August 21, 2007 - 05:39 PM

I don't want a trailer, I already have one of those.

Time to move up to an RV for me

What age are you looking at?

Around here, if it's older than 96, 10k seems to be the going rate-no matter what it is.

As for the NADA guide-for the "high" price, it has to be A #1 Pristine, Perfect condition, while the "low" price is those machines that while are still functional, aren't pretty.

Keep shopping hard, the longer the fuel stays up there, the cheaper the RV's will get. Best time in your area is late winter-spring. Some snowbird always drives one down, has a heart attack, breaks a hip, or just plain gets scared of it, and would rather sell and fly back home.

• damone

Posted August 22, 2007 - 06:59 AM

What age are you looking at?

Around here, if it's older than 96, 10k seems to be the going rate-no matter what it is.

As for the NADA guide-for the "high" price, it has to be A #1 Pristine, Perfect condition, while the "low" price is those machines that while are still functional, aren't pretty.

Keep shopping hard, the longer the fuel stays up there, the cheaper the RV's will get. Best time in your area is late winter-spring. Some snowbird always drives one down, has a heart attack, breaks a hip, or just plain gets scared of it, and would rather sell and fly back home.

On that note, the snowbird destinations in AZ are a good place to look for the same reason.

• Brian Wilson

Posted August 22, 2007 - 08:58 AM

Now there's a good idea..even if it's a bit morbid

• damone

Posted August 22, 2007 - 09:25 AM

My sis in-laws in-laws purchased a (I want to say 2005) 37-ft Bounder double slide for $85K in AZ last year. Previous owner died while snowbirding and wife couldn't/didn;t want to drive it home.

Dealers set up temp stores down there for this very reason. Very good trade-in/ re-sale market.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RickyD

Posted August 22, 2007 - 07:53 PM

You may want to go search around on RV.net What kind of coach are you in the market for? Diesel, gas, pusher, puller?

• Brian Wilson

Posted August 22, 2007 - 08:03 PM

You may want to go search around on RV.net What kind of coach are you in the market for? Diesel, gas, pusher, puller?

What I want:
330hp+ diesel pusher
Minimum 1 slide (2 or 3 is better, but I can live with one considering my budget)
Washer/Dryer - or space to add one
Self Tracking satellite - the kind that tracks as your driving
Diesel generator (none of that propane crap)
38-40 foot range
prefer freight liner chassis over the spartan chassis
100gal or more fresh water tank
$100k-$150k price range

But, if I found a good deal I might find a way to part with a little extra cash for one of those mid-engine diesels that have a garage under the bed so I don't have to pull a box trailer for the bikes.

• RickyD

Posted August 22, 2007 - 08:15 PM

If I get a chance I will ask around about those Chassis. Sounds like you are after a nice Coach:thumbsup:

• mowtown

Posted August 22, 2007 - 08:21 PM

What I want:
330hp+ diesel pusher
Minimum 1 slide (2 or 3 is better, but I can live with one considering my budget)
Washer/Dryer - or space to add one
Self Tracking satellite - the kind that tracks as your driving
Diesel generator (none of that propane crap)
38-40 foot range
prefer freight liner chassis over the spartan chassis
100gal or more fresh water tank
$100k-$150k price range

But, if I found a good deal I might find a way to part with a little extra cash for one of those mid-engine diesels that have a garage under the bed so I don't have to pull a box trailer for the bikes.

As I said in another thread about trailers, you're in a great market to buy anything recreational. Between the gas and many people's mortgage rates being reset (or coming due), all toys will be available for cheap. There are already clear signs of this (both locally and ebay/craigslist) and the longer you wait..the better the deal!

• Brian Wilson

Posted August 22, 2007 - 09:02 PM

If I get a chance I will ask around about those Chassis. Sounds like you are after a nice Coach:thumbsup:

Yeah, I'd rather spend 70k-80k, but I'm realistic about what I would get for that price (gas), and I don't want a gas coach.

And I really want something that we can spend a 2-3 weeks at a time living in. So many great places to ride around this country and I want to roost them all!

I figure my job is an internet web site, so I can pretty much work from anywhere with a cell phone and verizon wireless internet card, so why not do some traveling. Not to mention, there are so many TT rides all over the country all the time, and I don't like missing out on the fun!!!!

Drive in the evenings, work during the day, and ride during the weekends. :ride: :applause:

I just want to make sure I buy something that is comfortable and reliable. After all, these damn things aren't cheap. But I figure I live in a modest house (thank god I bought my house in 2000 before the real estate boom), and have no car payments. After all these years of being a cheap ass, penny pinching, frugal bastard, it's about time I treat myself to something I really want.

• mowtown

Posted August 22, 2007 - 10:47 PM

Are you going to get one of those stickers of America and fill in the states as you visit:excuseme: :busted:

Make sure you stop by Idaho and let us take you for a spin:ride:

• Brian Wilson

Posted August 23, 2007 - 11:06 AM

I'm going to have to go with a "no way" on the map and stickers. :bonk:

• Brian Wilson

Posted August 23, 2007 - 01:52 PM

Man, I can't belive we don't have a single RV dealer/salesman here that can give me the inside scoop on pricing these things.

• Chasejj

Posted August 23, 2007 - 09:29 PM

Man, I can't belive we don't have a single RV dealer/salesman here that can give me the inside scoop on pricing these things.

You may be getting some rather protective advice on used pricing of these things. This RV boom we've seen in the last 5 years has been driven by refinancing of equity in homes over the same period along with some ridiculous rates and loan approval practices. This phenomenon is being corrected in a severe way. The fallout is homes and other "assets" being foreclosed on by the lenders and some panic selling to avoid these scenarios.
Right now cash is king. I would hold on a little longer and you will see these $30K-200K toys going for amazing prices as the adjustable short term loans that funded these purchases become adjustable to double their previous rate. The 3/1 are just starting to now and soon the 5/1 will.That will probably be the bottom.:bonk:

• dirtyriders110

Posted August 24, 2007 - 09:43 AM

We got our TT for what the dealer payed from the factory. :applause:

Sort of off topic-ish but you should use your RV as an advertisement (get some ThumperTalk graphics for it)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.