Scott's stabilizer with RSW triple clamps on XR650L-part numbers

2 replies to this topic
  • evomx971

Posted August 21, 2007 - 09:54 AM

There are several posts out there asking about mounting a steering stabilzer on an XR650L using aftermarket triple clamps to move the handlebars forward and/or higher.

I wanted to use a Scott's stabilizer since I already had the stabilizer for my KTM. Scott's does not have a bolt on triple clamp/stabilizer kit for the L that allows the speedo and ignition switch to be bolted on. I believe you can modify their XR600 triple clamp. Scott's does have a bolt on kit if you can live with the stock XR650L top triple clamp.

I read a recent post from someone saying RTT might have something bolt on for the XR650L. They don't have anything listed for the L on their website but might have something if you call perhaps?

I ended up buying an RSW top triple clamp and adapting Scott's barclamps to fit the stablizer. There are a couple of other posts detailing this same mod. I just wanted to share the part numbers so hopefully anyone else doing this can save some time working with Scott's. Here's the parts and what I did for this mod. The part numbers are as they were stamped on the parts.

Parts:
1. Scott's steering stabilizer
2. Scott's steering post for XR650L (part no 5360)
3. Scott's lower bar mounts, 1 1/8" bar dia (part no 40-4042R, need 2)
4. Scott's upper bar clamp/stabilizer mount, 1 1/8" bar dia, for bars in forward position (part no 1004029)
5. RSW top triple clamp for XR650L. This is a nice piece for $125. I would suggest calling to order and ask to get the triple clamp w/o bar mounts since you won't use the RSW mounts anyway, might be able to get it cheaper.

Installation is straightforward per the Scott's instructions except for two small modifications.
1. The RSW triple clamp will make contact with the steering post. You need to grind some material from the underneath side of the front of the triple clamp (in the area the speedo bolts on). An angle grinder makes quick work of it.
2. A very small amount needs filed off the aluminum housing of the ignition switch to clear the steering post. I think a person could also use a washer or two between the ignition switch and the triple clamp and also get it to clear.

I'm really happy with my finished results. I finished off with some blue (for my blue/white '94) RC bend Renthal Fatbars and some blue G2 handguards. The stabilizer makes fast gravel roads and highway/interstate riding much less hairy.

I worked with a guy named Matt at Scott's who was very helpful. If an XR650L owner would ask for him, I bet he'd remember my project and understand what you're doing.

Hope this helps someone out, feel free to ask any questions.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nummie

Posted August 21, 2007 - 05:47 PM

Hey, you got a picture of that cool set-up ?

• evomx971

Posted August 22, 2007 - 08:35 AM

I'll work on getting some pics of it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.