Just bought 2003 XR650L ..475 miles Now what

5 replies to this topic
  • xrberg

Posted August 21, 2007 - 09:19 AM

I feel like I'm 25 again.. ( I am twice that in real life) Just bought a XR650L 2003 with 475 miles on it . I lurked this forum for the past couple days and I know a search will answer most of my questions .. but what would you do first. I like opinions.
My XRL is stock but I want some better throttle responce and want to gear her down for trails but will have to get to the trails on pavement. I'm lookin for the best of both worlds.

Carb mods ( dynojet kit) or redrill setup?
Who is a good vendor

air pump/charcoal canister off?

re- gear .. If iirc I have a 15 tooth front sprocket?? can I drop down to a
11-12 or should I go bigger rear?

Is there a Utah group of riders that hangs out here on this bb?

I have 2- 94 xr 250rs I need to sell as well.

Thanks
Berg

• goblin127

Posted August 21, 2007 - 09:28 AM

Congrats! Nice bike. Ther are alot of mods you can do,but the one you seem to be asking about is the Daves carb mods they are better than the DJ kit and I have tried both. As far as gearing goes I had to go with a 14/48 combo to get where I think you want to be. Next thing I would go for is a larger tank. Clark or ims. I prefer the clark in the 4 gal. Good luck!

• martinfan30

Posted August 21, 2007 - 10:15 AM

I feel like I'm 25 again.. ( I am twice that in real life) Just bought a XR650L 2003 with 475 miles on it . I lurked this forum for the past couple days and I know a search will answer most of my questions .. but what would you do first. I like opinions.
My XRL is stock but I want some better throttle responce and want to gear her down for trails but will have to get to the trails on pavement. I'm lookin for the best of both worlds.

Carb mods ( dynojet kit) or redrill setup?
Who is a good vendor

air pump/charcoal canister off?

re- gear .. If iirc I have a 15 tooth front sprocket?? can I drop down to a
11-12 or should I go bigger rear?

Is there a Utah group of riders that hangs out here on this bb?

I have 2- 94 xr 250rs I need to sell as well.

Thanks
Berg

welcome to the pig farm! love my xrl too. i used the dynojet kit and drilled the slide(now i have an fcr 41 pumper). 15/48 gearing is good for hiway and better than stock for offroad. not sure but i thought 13 was the smallest you can go up front. just run the 15 for hiway and carry a 13 to swap out at the trailhead, easy change out. removed the air pump and charcoal cann. and related junk.the TT store is good and so is xr's only for parts. bikebandit is another good one. have fun on your new pig and welcome to TT!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LeadDoggy

Posted August 21, 2007 - 10:25 AM

there are a copy of good articles on the site below

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/

• Denn10

Posted August 21, 2007 - 10:57 AM

great bike low miles good for you to rack em up now. Id do daves mods and smog removal and an exhaust after that theres not that much you need ot do for mods. If you wanna play with your gearing then drop 1 in the front and go from there, your chain is so new that you can try front sprockets till you find what you like and there cheap too so easy way to find what you like. Good job on the BRP GL

• Bibleman

Posted August 21, 2007 - 11:12 AM

I feel like a kid again too with the XR. Reminds me of my early 70s SLs. I did Daves mods and am very happy with the results, but don't have any experience with the Dyojet kit for comparison. As far as vendors, I like the Thumper Talk store. They will help you get just about anything in existence and back it up with a price guarantee!:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.