Wierd bolt problem. Need help.

9 replies to this topic
  • skatpex99

Posted August 20, 2007 - 04:47 PM

Ok, i have a 2008 yz250f and i asked this question over at the yz250f forum and they said that a couple of you guys here have had the same problem as me so could you help me out. I was taking apart my bike today to clean all the plastics and there are these 2 bolt that wont come off for some reason. The bolts are the bolts that keep the shrouds on. The bolts on each side of the bike wont come off. All the other shroud bolts came off easily but these two. What happens is when i try to take the bolt off it moves about half a revoltion then tightens up again. The same thing happens on the other side of the bike with the same shroud bolt that is on the other side. I have never taken the bike apart so i dont think that the threads are messed up. Can anybody tell me whats going on. Thanks.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted August 20, 2007 - 05:58 PM

If they rotate and stop, the threads are damaged by corrosion or seizure. Try soaking with a real penetrating oil.

• skatpex99

Posted August 20, 2007 - 06:03 PM

ok thanks, i will try that but i dont think that corrosion would be the problem. It is brand new with like 5-7 hours on it.

• grayracer513

Posted August 20, 2007 - 07:34 PM

...and how many hours in a crate on the Pacific? They're aluminum bolts, IIRC, and it wouldn't take much to get them to stick. You're describing the classic symptoms of galled threads, however it happened.

• ich00012

Posted August 20, 2007 - 11:02 PM

try pulling on the shrouds as you are undoing the nut. I feel like the bolt is slipping on the back and pulling toward yourself might prevent slippage of the nut??? i'd be ticked with a new bike like that...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Quack

Posted August 21, 2007 - 01:54 AM

Id take it back to the Stealer and tell them to take it apart. I wouldnt want it to be my headache on a new bike.

• Polar_Bus

Posted August 21, 2007 - 02:05 AM

ok thanks, i will try that but i dont think that corrosion would be the problem. It is brand new with like 5-7 hours on it.

The bolts are siezed from moisture. Remember, your bike has been sitting for possible a year? in a crate.....

You are partially spinning the "nutsert" that's molded into the fuel tank. Lay the bike on it's side and spray some PB Blaster on the threads and wait a few days. The bolt should come out. It's a good idea to remove ALL your chassis fasteners and anti-sieze them. I basically completely dissasembled mt YZ and greased/anti-siezed everything so I would'nt have any corrosion issues.

• grayracer513

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:07 AM

On an '08, you can't have had it long, so I think I'd get the dealer to see what can be done for it. If this were a GM product, the dealer would drill the heads off those two bolts to save the shrouds, and give you a new gas tank. Drilling out the bolts and cleaning the threads is an option, but it's hard to do in a blind hole like that.

• USED YZ426F

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:46 AM

Use a good penetrating oil and let it soak in for a good day. Spray it liberally, wait a few hours and spray it again, repeat four or five times. Then, carefully try to work the bolt out. Back it out a little, tighten it a little, back it out a little, and repeat until the bolt comes out. If it keeps getting stuck, use more penetrating oil and repeat the soaking process.
Don't force them, as they will probably snap off and that is a whole other problem to take care of.
When you get them out, inspect the threads carefully, run a tap in the hole if necessary and reassemble with some anti-seize compound.

• WB450

Posted August 21, 2007 - 07:31 AM

Holly s@$#! I've had mine off a few times, and this weekend I go to put on my new tank, they just turn. I had to take a small drill bit and drill down through the head of the bolt, after two more larger bits the head came off. Now I need to find out if I can replace the inserts in the tank. I have a IMS 3.1 and I'm not reading a lot of positive things about them, so I may need a spare!

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.