wr 450 crank question?

6 replies to this topic
  • dr x

Posted August 20, 2007 - 04:27 PM

04 wr 450

Hi, does anyone know if i can replace just the cam chain sprocket on the crank shaft?
My dealer said i would need to buy half a crank and get it pressed on to my half.
Has anyone had to do this?

Thanks J

• pops 56

Posted August 20, 2007 - 11:47 PM

Sorry to say I think he is right cam chain sprocket on the crank shaft is part of the crank. Is it worn?. I replaced my cam chain at 10.000 klm the cam chain sprocket was like new?

• dr x

Posted August 21, 2007 - 03:10 AM

Thanks for the response,

This engine is a good advert for regular maintenance, i bought the bike cheap in a pretty bad state knowing it needed a bit of work, it had quite a few trick bits on it and the guy had powder coated the frame so i thought this would offset the cost of the rebuild.
When i opened up the engine i was shocked, it looked like the cam chain had been slipping and the piston had been left way past its service limit.

Total damage:
two cams mashed
crank sprocket mashed
barrel worn through coating
head journals dont look good

Hundreds of pounds of damage caused by a £20 cam chain and £100 piston

I plan to rebuild it slowly over the winter with a big bore, hot cams etc etc so ive got monster spare engine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pops 56

Posted August 21, 2007 - 05:45 AM

You are right about no regular maintenance. I owned a motor bike shop for a while. Hard to work some people out .Good luck with the rebuild .:thumbsup:

• dr x

Posted August 21, 2007 - 07:13 AM

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted August 21, 2007 - 07:40 AM

Try this a complete new crank shaft (with new timing gear)
http://www.hotrodspr...=2005&enter=Go!

Search posts by Birdy426 He went through this as well and posted very insightfull information:thumbsup:

• dr x

Posted August 21, 2007 - 09:31 AM

Try this a complete new crank shaft (with new timing gear)
http://www.hotrodspr...=2005&enter=Go!

Search posts by Birdy426 He went through this as well and posted very insightfull information:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.