xr650L ok as a beginners bike?

15 replies to this topic
  • CalebTheBarbarian

Posted August 20, 2007 - 12:52 PM

Title pretty much says it all, just wondering if it would be too much bike? I'm 26 yrs old, in very good shape (and I like to think some level of self-discipline), and would mainly use it for longer adventure-style trips and off-roading, with some street riding as well.

All opinions welcome!

• martinfan30

Posted August 20, 2007 - 12:59 PM

Title pretty much says it all, just wondering if it would be too much bike? I'm 26 yrs old, in very good shape (and I like to think some level of self-discipline), and would mainly use it for longer adventure-style trips and off-roading, with some street riding as well.

All opinions welcome!

im 6'5" 230 and i have an 05 xr650l. it is the tallest of the DS bikes and a bit top heavy. also stock it is 324 lbs. i think. i use mine for those types of rides, no prob. 150 miles a day on the hiway with me and my wolfman bags loaded and tent,bag,chair , etc. stacked on top. reliable, parts everywhere(OEM and aftermarket). cant beat em!

• jetfuel

Posted August 20, 2007 - 01:06 PM

Other than being tall and some what top heavy its a great do all bike. it can be modded for practically any type of riding and is extremely reliable... Try the search function in this forum and you'll learn alot .. and welcome to TT.

• hondaxrl650

Posted August 20, 2007 - 01:10 PM

All opinions welcome!

To answer the question ....Yes... it is not a rocket that will do 150+ can cruse all day at 70 and it will take you where you want to go offroad . My 07 is my first bike and I love it ...

• wheelnut46

Posted August 20, 2007 - 02:15 PM

Yes. Good choice and have fun.

• Denn10

Posted August 20, 2007 - 02:16 PM

enough said it is my first DS but not my first bike had a ton of MX bikes GO-FOR-IT!!!

• Frank ZX

Posted August 20, 2007 - 02:23 PM

They are awesome bikes.I've been riding for 20 yrs.and dropped mine twice in the first week.Once they start coming over they just drop.lol After you get use to it's weight,you'll love it.

• Coolidge

Posted August 20, 2007 - 03:40 PM

Im a noob to DS as well. My last bike was a '84 RM125 Zook. Fast forward 20 yrs, Im 43, 5'7" 150lbs and my 1st DS is a 97 XR600R. I have no trouble in desert, roads and mild trails. But the bike is a little too tall for me in technical off-road riding situations (dropped mine 2x last ride...) Otherwise, its a great adventure bike. I hope to get lowering link (or something to lower it) soon. Other than the height, really like my R, 'specially since I got it plated :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CalebTheBarbarian

Posted August 20, 2007 - 04:56 PM

thanks very much for the advice guys... probably won't be getting it until spring, but looks like it's at the top of my list!

• AaronBrown

Posted August 20, 2007 - 09:16 PM

I bought mine two weeks ago. I hadn't had a bike for ten years prior to that so it's like starting over again. They are heavy but predictable, I am happy with it so far I just wish I had a bit more power. Although it does move my 275 pounds around just fine.

• goblin127

Posted August 21, 2007 - 04:23 AM

Sa far as a bike to learn on,I think there are better choices,only because of it's hight and it being top heavy.

• jonr3

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:55 AM

I'm only 5' 9" and although the 650L is pretty tall and top heavy, I don't have any problems. It handles well off-road and great on-road. I average about 1,000 miles a month on mine and have no complaints. :applause:

• Highpiper

Posted August 21, 2007 - 07:02 AM

Test rode one last weekend...it really felt heavy and slow, I couldn't get it up over 70 at all...it's very low geared for the dirt. I'm sure it's a good, durable ride, but I'm now leaning towards getting the Husqvarna TE 610 instead, based on what I feel is its relative quickness and lightness compared with the Honda.

• martinfan30

Posted August 21, 2007 - 07:12 AM

once uncorked/piped, jetted, they make good power.

• Bibleman

Posted August 21, 2007 - 11:18 AM

Hmmm, mine does an indicate 100 pretty easily (uncorked of course) and nice long second gear wheelies with a tug of the bars and lots of throttle:ride: :ride:

• jonr3

Posted August 21, 2007 - 12:51 PM

I've had mine at 95 mph with plenty of throttle left over (just no more courage). :ride: It easily cruises at 75 to 85 mph with stock gearing.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.