new WR450: did you get a title from dealer?

20 replies to this topic
  • ez__rider

Posted August 20, 2007 - 12:18 PM

:excuseme:

Ok- so is it standard to get a title with a WR450 (and dirtbikes in general)?
I bought mine, but it wasn't plated, etc when I got it, so the guy claimed no title. I'm working on it, but just wondering what is standard issue in other states... I just put all the goodies on it, had an inspection and the DMV said there's already a title, a lien on it, etc...!!!???!!!

:foul:

Thanks!

• Michigan DS

Posted August 20, 2007 - 12:27 PM

I got a title with mine. I had it within 10 days of purchasing the bike from the dealer.

Good Luck,

Doug

• throttlejockey154

Posted August 20, 2007 - 01:35 PM

how did you pay for it? if u owe money, they lienholder has the title.

• Vegemite_luva

Posted August 22, 2007 - 09:40 AM

ez_rider, I am in a similar boat. I bought a used 2003 WR450F and the previous owner said he did not get a title from the original owner and infact he didn't even have the MCO/MSO. I was able to get a duplicate MCO/MSO from Yamaha through my local dealer but I still need a title to get my bike registered. According to the MCO/MSO the original dealership was in Michigan so I contacted Michigan Department of Motor Vehicle. They told me I can submit a BVDR154 form to request information on the last title holder on record. Once I got those details I would have to contact that person and have them sign the bike over to me. One thing you should note that the last title holder may not want to cooperate and also you may have to pay some sort of tax plus whatever fees for the form and title transfer. Since this all sounds like a major pain I am trying to figure out just how important this is to me.

• eissinger4

Posted August 22, 2007 - 11:04 AM

I bought mine new from a dealership in Reno. I got a "certificate of origin", which is basically the title with a different name. Maybe it varies by state, but I can't imagine that being the case.....

• ez__rider

Posted August 22, 2007 - 12:24 PM

Ok- so I had initially received good response from the previous owner ("I'll do whatever I can to help get this done for you") but now he is not responding... so I'm trying to think about what I can do to be creative and get this thing done... so:

- I had the idea that maybe I should try to pass this bike as a "custom" somehow and get a totally new title for it? any guys out there ride custom or homebuilt choppers, etc and have any experience with that?

I'm not sure what other options I have, so if you've got any advice please help. I have a bill of sale from the guy, but not sure that really does me any good without the title.

also- I called yesterday wondering about if it were abandoned, how I could get a title to sell it. They said, call the police, they'll pick it up, and send it to auction, and you can bid on it there... YEAH RIGHT! WTF?!

what happened to "posession is 9/10 of the law"!?
Do I have any legal rights on this?

• ez__rider

Posted August 22, 2007 - 12:28 PM

They told me I can submit a BVDR154 form to request information on the last title holder on record

here's where you can get that form BVDR154: I think I might be putting in the same request.

• davidl9999

Posted August 22, 2007 - 12:30 PM

You can sell it and make it someone else's problem...
(Boo, hiss, but it's an option)

• ez__rider

Posted August 22, 2007 - 12:59 PM

You can sell it and make it someone else's problem...
(Boo, hiss, but it's an option)

F*%&!!! I just got done making it street legal- it passed inspection and ALL!

so, I just called MI SOS, and this form is to have a history check and... issue me a title?!

I guess I'll find out...!?

• davidl9999

Posted August 22, 2007 - 01:14 PM

Those are pretty standard; it's basically to ensure that the vehicle wasn't stolen.
Legally it can be an issue if a previous owner claims that a vehicle was stolen. But - if they never reported it stolen, you'd have a pretty good case for them making a fraudulent claim. A history check can be a PITA and isn't without risks. If you have a bill of sale or something to that effect from your seller, that would go a long way towards verifying the legitimacy of your ownership.
If you have that, I'd say you're pretty much safe in that regard.

However, if there is a lien on the bike, that would need to be settled. If your seller was fraudulent in how you were sold the bike, and you have a bill of sale or something to that effect, the courts can make him settle the lien or compensate you for your expenses (fixing the bike, etc.). A legitimate lienholder ultimately owns a piece of the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dmoney1074

Posted August 22, 2007 - 01:25 PM

Cant you just apply for a bonded title?

• KennyMc

Posted August 22, 2007 - 02:03 PM

:excuseme:

Ok- so is it standard to get a title with a WR450 (and dirtbikes in general)?
I bought mine, but it wasn't plated, etc when I got it, so the guy claimed no title. I'm working on it, but just wondering what is standard issue in other states... I just put all the goodies on it, had an inspection and the DMV said there's already a title,[COLOR="Red"] a lien [/COLOR]on it, etc...!!!???!!!

:foul:

Thanks!

Who is the lien holder? Was that from you or someone prior?

• throttlejockey154

Posted August 22, 2007 - 03:16 PM

if the guy you bought it from still owes $ on it, then that person(or corporation) will hold the title

• chevytrkn1

Posted August 22, 2007 - 05:39 PM

In Montana the title goes to the county court house first, then you pick it up there, same way with cars and everything

• ez__rider

Posted August 24, 2007 - 05:29 AM

responding to a few things here:

- I'm not really sure what a bonded title is, but I'll ask if I need to
- Here in MI, they put a stamp on the title if there is a Lien. So to transfer title in this case you would take the title and a letter from the bank stating the Lien is clear.

• KennyMc

Posted August 24, 2007 - 06:45 AM

responding to a few things here:

- I'm not really sure what a bonded title is, but I'll ask if I need to
- Here in MI, they put a stamp on the title if there is a Lien. So to transfer title in this case you would take the title and a letter from the bank stating the Lien is clear.

You had mentioned that there is still a lien on the bike. Has it not been stamped? If not, this would indicate that the previous owner did not pay the bike off. Is that accurate? If it is, you will have to get the person who sold you the bike to pay it off. If he doesn't, you would need to take legal action.

Man what a bummer, you by a bike and all you want to do is ride and not worry about this kind of stuff.:thumbsup:

• TWILES

Posted August 24, 2007 - 01:15 PM

I bought mine new from a dealership in Reno. I got a "certificate of origin", which is basically the title with a different name. Maybe it varies by state, but I can't imagine that being the case.....

Thats what you get in Kentucky. I got an actual title with mine because they screwed up and put it in as "Street Legal". Otherwise you get a Certificate of Origin. Atvs are the same way now too.

• theroyz71

Posted December 19, 2007 - 04:20 PM

if the guy you bought it from still owes $ on it, then that person(or corporation) will hold the title

Bingo. I think we have a winner. I bet the guy doesn't have the title because he's still paying on the bike.

Oops, forgot I was searching old posts.

• ez__rider

Posted December 21, 2007 - 06:12 AM

nope- he had indeed paid it off. It took me about a month to get the whole deal done, but I did FINALLY get a plate for it.

• theroyz71

Posted December 21, 2007 - 07:05 AM

Excellent. Glad it all worked out for you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.