1999 Yamaha WR400

25 replies to this topic
  • Silverslug

Posted September 10, 2007 - 10:56 AM

I've drained the oil, way overfilled, replace seals and bearing in water pump, waiting on the impeller shaft (ordered). Oil looked good no water in crank case. I'm starting to feel beter about bike, I 've got the right crank case cover off everything looks good. The kid that had this bike didn't know what he was doing as far as maintenance goes. I think its going to be a good bike. I have aready had offers from some of my buddies on the bike, I told them wait and let me see how the rest goes. Hopefully the shaft will be here tomorrow and I can get it back together tomorrow evening and fire her up.:thumbsup:

• DanyR1

Posted September 10, 2007 - 02:35 PM

Keep us update !!!

• redrocket190

Posted September 10, 2007 - 07:58 PM

FWIW, I received a 1999 WR400F in a trade. I cleaned the carb up fitted a JD jetting kit, PowerNow, and Boyesen AP cover. This bike now starts first or second kick providing you use the choke or hot start appropriately. If I had an unlimited budget I would send the whole carb off to Zip-Ty Racing for their mods.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Silverslug

Posted September 11, 2007 - 04:55 AM

Redrocket, where did you get the Carbon Fiber for the WR? Your bike looks good.:thumbsup:

• redrocket190

Posted September 11, 2007 - 09:33 AM

...picked up GYT-R pieces off of eBay. I think Lightspeed does all the same parts too.

http://www.carbonfiberworks.com/productCat49581.ctlg

http://www.lightspeedperf.com/

• Silverslug

Posted September 11, 2007 - 06:05 PM

Finally got everything back together and took it for a test ride, WOW!:bonk: I don't think this engine is stock. It runs very smooth since I changed the oil and put the right amount in the engine. The thing shifts smoother starts easier, (1st kick) the overfilled crank case really smothered the engine. I am very pleased with the results. I am having problems getting the right amout of coolant in the radiators. The book states 1.25 qts., I can only get a quart in it. What's the best way to get the air out of the left radiator? My DRZ has a purge valve on the top of the radiator to get the air out. Any suggestions?? :ride: This turned out to be a good deal,:thumbsup: I have about $1200 in the bike so far. Its now ridable. I will probally do a few more things to it, but first I am going to ride.:eek:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.