How to muffle a 400WR

8 replies to this topic
  • goplay

Posted August 20, 2007 - 09:59 AM

I've got a 99 400WR that I want to quiet down. I've currently got a White's exhaust on it and wondered if anyone knew of a baffle or maybe a different system that would knock down the noise?:eek:

• redswr

Posted August 20, 2007 - 12:03 PM

have you checked the packing in it? it may just need to be repacked... also do you know what the DB is on it right now and what are you trying to get it to?

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 20, 2007 - 12:08 PM

If it's the 99' - 00' era White Bros. E-Series, how many discs are currently in front of the end cap?

I had this pipe on my 99' and ended up with 6 discs before it (the noise) was acceptable to me :prof:

Packing would also be my suggestion as mentioned above.

• goplay

Posted August 20, 2007 - 06:00 PM

It's the White Bros E series and it has 9 rings on the tail. I don't know what the DB is now (or how to check it) but it's LOUD! I may noy be able to quiet it down but I sure want to try. I just don't want to lose power.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redswr

Posted August 20, 2007 - 08:44 PM

i had the same pipe on mine... its really loud even after the repack. i ended up with a FMF Q2 and Power bomb header so i could pass the 96db

• Solo

Posted August 20, 2007 - 10:38 PM

That pipe is loud. No bones about it. Just LOUD. I have one on mine. It got better with a re-pack but still quite loud. I don't mind it so much and it came with the bike. If I ever have to meet some sound requirement I'll pick up an FMF.

Does yours have the spark arrestor in it? If not the thing will be deafeningly loud. Look in the back of the pipe- you can't miss it if it's there.

• goplay

Posted August 21, 2007 - 05:52 PM

It does have the spark arrestor, I took it off just to hear it and I think I broke some windows!...yuk!yuk! I think I'm going to try the repack if it's less than a uesd FMF. I've still got a few mods to do.

• tp3dxf

Posted August 21, 2007 - 10:54 PM

That pipe is loud. No bones about it. Just LOUD. I have one on mine. It got better with a re-pack but still quite loud. I don't mind it so much and it came with the bike. If I ever have to meet some sound requirement I'll pick up an FMF.

Does yours have the spark arrestor in it? If not the thing will be deafeningly loud. Look in the back of the pipe- you can't miss it if it's there.

Solo got it right. That is just a loud pipe. You can quiet it down but you will loose some performance. Seems that pipe is just a fancy supertrapp.

I run a Big Gun Quite series on my 01 WR 426. I've tested at anywhere from 93 - 95 db. Pretty close to the edge for some of the races I've done on the bike. The early WR's are loud bikes. But with a FMF Q they will pass sound at or below 96 db. I suggest the new FMF Q series or the Pro Circuit 496 I think it's called. I've also tested some of the new WB pipes that were not bad either much better then the old disk models. Where I race and ride we have to meet 96 db. I suggest you put that old WB up for sale and get a New FMF Q, Pro Circuit 496, or one of the new White Brothers quiet pipes. They will all pass the 96 db sound check.

• byggd

Posted August 22, 2007 - 07:51 AM

I had that muffler and ran 4 discs and a quiet core insert, it helped but was still loud at WOT. I went back to the stock unit with the peashooter removed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.