Swingarm Chain Guard question on a 99 400

3 replies to this topic
  • dedelmon

Posted August 19, 2007 - 09:42 PM

Is it common for the thin chain guard on the front of the swing-arm to wear out too quick? Mine has a small hole in it where the chain is getting to the metal and the guard was replaced about 8 riding hours back. Is there a better one to install instead of the OEM? Chain looks to be adjusted fine.

-don

• Dirtbiker05

Posted August 20, 2007 - 06:33 AM

http://members.cox.n...r/wearplate.htm ive never tried this but i think it will work and protect ur swingarm.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 20, 2007 - 07:34 AM

http://members.cox.n...r/wearplate.htm ive never tried this but i think it will work and protect ur swingarm.

It does work, but it's to prevent a different problem than what he's got here.

Is it common for the thin chain guard on the front of the swing-arm to wear out too quick? Mine has a small hole in it where the chain is getting to the metal ... Is there a better one to install instead of the OEM?

It's not normal, no. The one on my '03 is the OEM unit; 4 years old.

If you are running a 13 tooth sprocket, or are very light and don't have enough sag at the rear, that could be a part of the problem. Design Works and Zip-Ty have a hard nylon slider holds up better, but can be noisier.

• Jekel

Posted August 26, 2007 - 08:06 PM

There were issues with these wearing out quickly a few years ago. I believe the fix was to ensure the screws holding it down remianed tight, keep the chain adjusted properly at all times, check both regularly!!! If you go to Zip Ty racing and buy the good chian slider it is said to fix it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.