where to wire in an hour meter 04 450

9 replies to this topic
  • btray

Posted August 19, 2007 - 09:40 PM

Picked up an hour meter and the diagram shows to rap around the plug wire. As you all know the only wire that is visable is the two leads that go to, I guess the coil that sets on top of the plug connector assy. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

• Mike546

Posted August 20, 2007 - 02:03 AM

Wrap it around the top of the spark plug cap. It works for me.

• btray

Posted August 20, 2007 - 04:48 AM

Is that below the little box that sets on top of the cap?

• NM_KDX200

Posted August 20, 2007 - 05:33 AM

Wrap it around the coil. Find the two wires and chase them toward the plug. When you hit the large round cap sitting on top of the plug, wrap the wire.

There was a thread awhile back where a guy ran shrink wrap over the wire before wrapping, wrapped the wire, then threaded the end back thru, and shrunk it. Looked really clean and solid.

• btray

Posted August 20, 2007 - 09:18 AM

Is it important how many times your wrap around the "large round cap"?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NM_KDX200

Posted August 20, 2007 - 10:20 AM

Is it important how many times your wrap around the "large round cap"?

Not IMHE. I have mine wrapped 3x for no particular reason other than it seemed like a nice number.

• Mike546

Posted August 20, 2007 - 04:24 PM

Is that below the little box that sets on top of the cap?

Yep, wrap it three times then wire tie the end to the rest of the wire and trim it back. Leave enough slack in the long wire so you can get the plug cap off later.

• neevothespaniel

Posted August 21, 2007 - 04:00 AM

The factory look can be achieved by wiring the unit into the kill switch. Thats how I did mine with it stuck just behind the steering stem on the frame.

You can't see much wiring and it hasn't budged a mm.

• btray

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:34 PM

are you saying that the kill sw. wire is related directly to the coil wire and will trigger the meter just the same?

• cowboyona426

Posted August 21, 2007 - 08:08 PM

Did someone say factory look?
Posted Image

I just wrapped electrical tape around the hour meter wire when I was done, you can't hardly tell it didn't come that way from the factory. Added insurance against it coming loose also.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.