After Market Air Filters

16 replies to this topic
  • KennyMc

Posted August 19, 2007 - 08:35 PM

I am looking to replace my 07 WR450 stock air filter with an after-market one. I wanted to get opinions on good / bad experiences with replacements and see what others were running.

Thanks for your help.

Ken

• gelean01

Posted August 19, 2007 - 08:40 PM

I use a Ready Race aftermarket air filter and a RR stainless steel re-useable oil filter, both have been working great on my 05 WR450.

• Matt James

Posted August 19, 2007 - 10:23 PM

I have a 07 wr450 and buy pre-oiled no toil fileters for $10.00 a piece. I have used 7 new ones, and cleaned them all once. They say to throw them away after 5 cleanings. I'm happy no dirt has got through them.

• Mutu

Posted August 19, 2007 - 11:56 PM

Personally I use twinair filters.
I have got a few of them and I always have some pre-oiled and stashed away. I have never had a problem with dirt / dust getting past them, and the glue they use to stick them together doesn't break down.

Just remember to use a good air filter oil, I prefer the super sticky Motul stuff.
Dirt and dust stick to the oil, not the filter.

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 20, 2007 - 07:48 AM

I'm a big fan of the OEM filters - plenty of surface area, they hold up well, and provide the best seal to the air boot of any aftermarket filter I've used:prof:

• kskyles

Posted August 20, 2007 - 08:45 AM

i'm particularly fond of UNI filters and Belray filter oil.

no issues with dirt or dust coming through, and they hold up for a few years. i normally buy 2 so that i can keep one clean and ready to put in while the other one is drying.

• eissinger4

Posted August 23, 2007 - 10:34 AM

Another vote for Uni's. I've been through a Twin-Air and two No-toil's. The Uni is BY FAR the best filter I've used yet. The TA fell apart after one use, so they're worthless IMO. Others have had good luck with 'em, though.

• Derek00

Posted August 23, 2007 - 10:43 AM

+1 for the no-toil. I have 5. When they are all dirty I toss them in the washing machine and they come out just like new. The only negative with the NT system is the biodegradable rim grease is kind of expensive and it seems like I go through a lot of it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02WR426Cali

Posted August 23, 2007 - 09:28 PM

I've tried Twinair and Uni and have had good luck with both. No dirt gets past either brand. Twin airs are easier to deal with because it's one piece, Uni's are two pieces so it just makes it a little more of a hassle to clean and oil. But it's nice to know that you get the inner filter clean on the uni unlike the twinair which is glued to the outer piece. I always wondered how much dirt stays between the two filters???

• Mutu

Posted August 23, 2007 - 10:18 PM

I always wondered how much dirt stays between the two filters???

None if you clean your filter properly. Dirt sticks to the oil, not the filter.

• gregwr450f

Posted August 23, 2007 - 10:20 PM

Don't forget to check if your cage has a hole in the centre of it.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted August 24, 2007 - 08:20 PM

None if you clean your filter properly. Dirt sticks to the oil, not the filter.

Ok, then whats the inner filter for?? if it sticks to the oil then dirt will never get past the outer part right? And if you say it does, then how does the dirt that gets between the two get out when you clean it?

• Mutu

Posted August 25, 2007 - 07:14 AM

Ok, then whats the inner filter for??

finer dust.

if it sticks to the oil then dirt will never get past the outer part right?

Depends on how much oil you use! :bonk:
If you just had fine foam, then yes, it would just clog up straight away.

When oiled, the outer foam stops the larger particles and the inner foam stops the smaller particles.

And if you say it does, then how does the dirt that gets between the two get out when you clean it?

Because it sticks to the oil. If you break down the oil, the dirt comes out.
The dirt does not stick to foam. I just hope you oil your filters.

The reason the filters are so thick is to give more surface area for the oil to stick to, to catch the particles as they pass through the filter.

• byggd

Posted August 26, 2007 - 08:14 AM

Twinair and moose racing get my vote!

• Jekel

Posted August 26, 2007 - 02:33 PM

Twin Air and Uni both make excellent filters. Use quality oil to prevent dirt access to engine. The Twin Air seems to go back in the bike the eassiest of the 2.

• xtreme6669

Posted August 26, 2007 - 02:36 PM

ive been using ready filters and i love them so far!! no dirt in the air boot and there so easy. they also have an extra big sealing area to ensure a good seal between the cage and the air box...

• 02WR426Cali

Posted August 26, 2007 - 09:12 PM

[quote name='Mutu']
I just hope you oil your filters.

Of course I oil them!:foul:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.