Glamis Killas

30 replies to this topic
  • YZ450FORD

Posted August 19, 2007 - 07:14 PM

Hey i am a big glamis guy and i am looking forward in taking my new 450f out to the dunes. This is my first bike and i am wondering how its going to be. I Used to have the hellion of the dunes the banshee but i wanted see your guys bikes in the dunes, if you got any pictures of your guys bigs in the dunes i want to see them. Also what kind of paddle should i run and what brand thanx

Mike

• Britincali

Posted August 19, 2007 - 07:19 PM

Your 450 will do great out there :ride: :ride: :ride:

Last month at pismo.

Posted Image

• shortburb

Posted August 19, 2007 - 07:29 PM

:cry: i wanna ride in the sand

• 450GN

Posted August 19, 2007 - 09:33 PM

i got a sandpro or sandking or something like that.. its a 10 paddle tire

worked great and hooked up excellent... my buddy has an 8 paddle and well mine is better i think... much smoother while riding and hooks up better

i also had a kenda sand front tire which hooked very well i think

enjoy the dunes! they are a blast and take some pictures yourself and share with the rest of us

• BergArabia

Posted August 20, 2007 - 06:07 AM

I ride a 450 in the dunes..
Big dunes in Dubai until now.
They say they are smaller here in Qatar but I just got here and the bike is still in a container but a YZ450 with a paddle is kick ass in the desert.
The local guys in Dubai asked me to stop lining up with them at the bottom of the big dunes because they said it wasn't fair I was too fast.
They ride banshees and raptors.
I would say the banshee is actually fast on the flat but up that big dune the 450 will kick its ass..
You are gonna have a lot of fun..
Sorry no photo except the avatar. See the pattern thrown up by the paddle tire. It gives great hook up in the sand..

• Ranger18

Posted August 20, 2007 - 06:27 AM

I like the Kings Turbo 8 paddle. The 450 can handle 10 paddles, and I have one, but I like the kings 8 better. (Kings does not make a 10 paddle, only 6 and 8):thumbsup:

• sheesfast

Posted August 20, 2007 - 07:29 AM

I havent been to Glamis on my bike yet, only on the quads.
But I do have pics of Pismo, I run an 8 paddle Sand Pro on a WR426F.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It's great in the sand...

• Britincali

Posted August 20, 2007 - 07:33 AM

Heres a couple from dumont last year....

Posted Image

Posted Image

• rideawn

Posted August 20, 2007 - 09:56 AM

Get an 8 paddle. I run my 450 at Sand Mtn near Fallon, NV- it absolutely rips, even in stock form. I've run the stock front and a D952 front, they both feel pretty much the same to me. It really depends on how soft the sand is.

• tnl

Posted August 20, 2007 - 02:57 PM

Purchase a rear fender whip mount and remove your rear spring mud guard and buy a rear spring cover (not sure what it's called).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted August 21, 2007 - 02:33 AM

You sand guys $UCK !!!! (I mean that in a jeleous way !!!!)

All's I ever ride in is rocks, tree roots, muddy deep ruts....... I think I've had my YZ in 5th gear once since i've owned it !

That rolling sand looks so inviting for a big bore bike to be held WO.... someday i'll get out west to try sand riding.....

• YZ450FORD

Posted August 21, 2007 - 10:45 AM

HAHAH ya the samd is something else what tire pressure do you guys usually run with your tires in the sand

• BergArabia

Posted August 21, 2007 - 10:52 AM

HAHAH ya the samd is something else what tire pressure do you guys usually run with your tires in the sand

I use the standard pressure.. 16 lbs.
But then I have a paddle so the traction is fine..
Lower pressure will give more floatation but really the bike is so light it is OK at 16lbs..

• perfectlytuned

Posted August 21, 2007 - 12:20 PM

the sand is another world. Still pretty fun tho, its a nice change. Watch out for razorbacks tho, they scared me pretty good haha

This was 4th of july, it wasnt too bad in the dunes but on the beach o my goshhh :crazy: (Pismo)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

heres the beast with an 8 paddle, id say go as big as u can. 98 yz400f
Posted Image

• sheesfast

Posted August 21, 2007 - 02:17 PM

the sand is another world. Still pretty fun tho, its a nice change. Watch out for razorbacks tho, they scared me pretty good haha

This was 4th of july, it wasnt too bad in the dunes but on the beach o my goshhh :crazy: (Pismo)

http://i78.photobuck...op/P1010090.jpg[/IMG]

http://i78.photobuck...op/P1010105.jpg[/IMG]

http://i78.photobuck...op/P1010101.jpg[/IMG]

heres the beast with an 8 paddle, id say go as big as u can. 98 yz400f
http://i78.photobuck...op/P1010084.jpg[/IMG]

Nice bike!
I like the graphics. Do you have a wheel for dirt and a wheel for sand?
I have an Excel for dirt and the stock for the sand tire, but I really like the look of the black wheel with the paddles better.

• Polar_Bus

Posted August 22, 2007 - 03:54 AM

Do you sand guys generate enough traction to carry longer wheelies?

• grayracer513

Posted August 22, 2007 - 08:43 AM

Easily with a paddle. With a knobby, it can be done (trust me, see the pic), but some times you need a little help from the landscape.

Posted Image

• BergArabia

Posted August 22, 2007 - 11:19 AM

Like gray says, with a paddle it will stand on one wheel al day long..
Actually the problem is keeping the front down.. :ride:

• perfectlytuned

Posted August 22, 2007 - 11:45 AM

Nice bike!
I like the graphics. Do you have a wheel for dirt and a wheel for sand?
I have an Excel for dirt and the stock for the sand tire, but I really like the look of the black wheel with the paddles better.

thanks, i only have the one rim, i just switch it before i go (i dont go often). I love the black excels except last time i was out at cal city, i bent the :censored: out of the front. I had it trued up but on the street u can feel the offset but in the dirt its not noticeable

• sheesfast

Posted August 22, 2007 - 11:49 AM

thanks, i only have the one rim, i just switch it before i go (i dont go often). I love the black excels except last time i was out at cal city, i bent the :censored: out of the front. I had it trued up but on the street u can feel the offset but in the dirt its not noticeable

Oh, do you change the tire yourself or have the dealer do it?
I'm thinking of buying a tire change kit just so I know how to do it quickly.
You must have been pissed about that wheel! They are expensive!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.