Scotts Stabilizer Mount Options for XR650R

7 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted August 19, 2007 - 05:41 PM

Which set up seems to work best, the forward, lower or sub mount options? It seems alot of you guys are using the forward mount, is this primarly do to the dipstick clearance and its ease to adjust on the fly? Anyone using the sub mount or lower set ups? I can see the sub mount being an option for someone wanting to get more height as well as dampening, but do any of the three set ups function better then the other? Your advice or feedback is greatly appreciated as always...:thumbsup:

• Potts228

Posted August 19, 2007 - 07:19 PM

Which set up seems to work best, the forward, lower or sub mount options? It seems alot of you guys are using the forward mount, is this primarly do to the dipstick clearance and its ease to adjust on the fly? Anyone using the sub mount or lower set ups? I can see the sub mount being an option for someone wanting to get more height as well as dampening, but do any of the three set ups function better then the other? Your advice or feedback is greatly appreciated as always...:thumbsup:

I am using the sub mount and love it. It helps get the bars higher and though can be a little hard to adjust on the fly, it's not too hard. I am using the Windham bend Pro Taper bar as well and at 6' tall this seems pretty close to perfect for me. Yes it does make it a bit hard to use the dip stick but not bad at all.

• tdamore

Posted August 19, 2007 - 08:54 PM

Here are a couple of pics of my sub mount setup. Access to the dipstick is a little tight and it's a bit difficult to adjust on the fly but if you are over 6' tall it puts the bars where they need to be IMO. I am running CR Highs and it is pretty much perfect for me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Supplicate

Posted August 20, 2007 - 10:48 AM

If you are a taller guy the SUB mount is the way to go. I have it on my XRR and its tits. But, I'm 6'6" tall depending on the day and what shoes I'm wearing.

If you are a shorter guy, the top/forward mount is a good setup to. Thats what Barnum had on his bike when I was at his shop and it was pretty slick. Bars were just too low for me that way.

edit: I am also running KX High ProTapers, looking to go to the ATV High's since they give you another almost inch of rise over the KX's with the same sweep.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eastreich

Posted August 20, 2007 - 11:25 AM

I'm using the forward, above the bars mount on my 650R. My dad had the oil filler mount on his XR400, and I don't care how good you get at it, or how fast you are with it, that was just a PITA. The room to run it forward on the 650R is there, so I don't know why anyone would want to not run the forward mount. I like to check my oil before every ride, so I don't want to deal with the interference of a standard mounting position. I don't run the SUB mount just because I like to be able to adjust on the fly as fast as possible (I also have the large knob installed). With the Pastrana bend Pro-Tapers, I have more than enough room for my 6'3" height.

• philipstjohn

Posted August 20, 2007 - 06:10 PM

Where is the best place to order a Scotts Dampener on line? Anyone know?

• Supplicate

Posted August 20, 2007 - 06:24 PM

brpit.com is where I picked up my stabalizer and mount and everything I needed in a kit.

• dirtdudeaz9

Posted August 20, 2007 - 06:35 PM

give the guys at scotts a call. I was fortunate enough to be able to go into the shop when I was on vacation and talk to them. They will answer any question you ask.

I have the sub mount and it works great with no problems. Im taller though so the raised bar helps. They have bar spacers if you get the submount and dont want to have to get the oversized bars and spend 90$. I'd buy directly from scotts....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.