Hanging idle on 01' 650r

8 replies to this topic
  • numbnutz

Posted August 19, 2007 - 03:24 PM

Hey guys I have an 01' 650r uncorked and jetted right. 68s, 53e needle in the 3rd clip and a 175 main, uni filter @ sea level but am having a problem with the idle hanging up. I've checked the throttle cable routing and slack and no problems there. Any ideas as what is going on? Any help would be great.

• resslera

Posted August 19, 2007 - 03:28 PM

Try turning down the idle until it barely idles. I did this with mine and it hasn't happended in the 2+ years since.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 19, 2007 - 03:32 PM

Try turning down the idle until it barely idles. I did this with mine and it hasn't happended in the 2+ years since.

I agree. Too high of an idle is quite often the problem.

• numbnutz

Posted August 19, 2007 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I'm new to the BRP so any help is much appreciated.

thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • D1k

Posted August 19, 2007 - 05:50 PM

Could it be that the low end of the carb(idle and pilot) circuits are a little lean.

If you come off an extended run at mid and high throttle settings and the idle is very high or seems to be stuck, this is a condition of lean low to mid range. Not enough gas and too much air causes the high revving.

This can be tuned out by richening the air/fuel screw or changing the pilot to a richer one.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 19, 2007 - 09:02 PM

Could it be that the low end of the carb(idle and pilot) circuits are a little lean.

If you come off an extended run at mid and high throttle settings and the idle is very high or seems to be stuck, this is a condition of lean low to mid range. Not enough gas and too much air causes the high revving.

This can be tuned out by richening the air/fuel screw or changing the pilot to a richer one.

Normally that would be the first thing you check with that condition but he had already richened the pilot circuit with the right jet. This is a common problem in the XR650R bikes when the idle is left too high after correct jetting is installed. I think it has something to do with built in pollution device if the carb has too much fuel when you let off the throttle. The condition of too much fuel exist because the idle is too high.

Someone else might explain this better. Its been a while since I read the reason for this. I have owned 2 brand new XR650R bikes since the first model came out in 2000. Both bikes did this after re-jetting until I dropped the idle down low enough.

• HawkGT

Posted August 20, 2007 - 12:30 AM

The 68s pilot was mentioned but nothing about the fuel screw. The pilot jet and the fuel screw work together to make up the pilot circuit jetting. If the fuel screw is turned in too far the pilot circuit could still be lean even with the correct size pilot jet.

• suharianu

Posted August 20, 2007 - 07:16 AM

spray some carb cleaner around filter area and carb ,see if the rpm changes,
could be an air leak

• jesusgatos

Posted August 20, 2007 - 01:17 PM

My 650 has a hanging idle too and another 650R owner told me that a hanging idle might mean that I need to adjust the valves.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.