Please help, oil change question!!

6 replies to this topic
  • Vinny2692

Posted August 19, 2007 - 11:13 AM

Hey, i am new to 4 strokes and am not totally shure how to change the oil. Where do i drain it, Where and how much do i put in. Step by step would be a great help. By the way its and 03' yz 450

Oh, another question, my oil seems to be disapeering. I dont think its the oil ring because it would smoke right? Most likly a leek?

• Vinny2692

Posted August 19, 2007 - 11:50 AM

oh one more thing. When the engine unstarted sits for a while, does the oil run back down out of the frame back into crank case?

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2007 - 11:51 AM

Oil change:

Use the procedure on the page below for the '03 and up models. It's exactly the same. Actually, I do an abbreviated version:

1> Run the engine for 90 seconds, then shut off and drain the frame downtube (tip: turn the front wheel to the side, and hold the pan up close to the drain plug to avoid a mess)

2> Remove and service the oil filter

3> Drain the sump (crankcase, only the large drain point on the bottom)

4> Refill, run the engine, verify oil level.

http://www.thumperfa.../oil_change.htm

Disappearing oil: It's a dry sump system. The oil supply is carried in a reservoir separate from the engine, and when you let it sit, oil runs down from the tank to the crankcase. If you check the oil at that point without first running the engine, the oil level will appear low, when it actually isn't. Whenever checking oil level, run the engine first, let it sit 30 seconds, then check it sometime between then and 15 minutes after shutdown. A good practice is to check oil at the end of each ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vinny2692

Posted August 19, 2007 - 12:33 PM

alright thanks alot. So, 1.4L of oil right?

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2007 - 12:41 PM

No, about 1.1/1.2 L

Read, "Fill Crankcase, YZ250F"

http://www.thumperfa...nge.htm#Proc 03

• Vinny2692

Posted August 20, 2007 - 07:17 PM

alright thanks.

• 642MX

Posted August 20, 2007 - 07:20 PM

Need a manual? Try here: http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.