Homemade lower radiator protection

15 replies to this topic
  • KJ790

Posted August 19, 2007 - 09:05 AM

This has been a problem of mine for a while, and I'm sure everyone else has the same problem. The bottom of my radiators take a beating from rocks and roost. They get smashed up in just a couple rides, and new radiators are expensive. Here is my radiator after just a couple races:

Posted Image

So I decided to do something. I had some pieces of carbon fiber laying around left over from making a skid plate. I decided to cut them to shape and stick them to the bottom of the radiators with silicone. This way the carbon fiber and the silicone will absorb the hit of rocks and mot leave the sharp dents and holes in the lower radiators. I'm sure you can use many different materials, but the carbon fiber looks trick too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted August 19, 2007 - 09:28 AM

Simple. :thumbsup:
Cheap. :thumbsup:
Effective. :thumbsup:
Clever. :thumbsup:

• WB450

Posted August 19, 2007 - 01:51 PM

Good idea!

• Erik47

Posted August 19, 2007 - 02:45 PM

how did you make a skid plate out of cf, and where did you buy the carbon fiber in the first place? also how did you mold it?

• rjboschjr

Posted August 19, 2007 - 02:53 PM

Patent it Bro: make a million bucks.

• KJ790

Posted August 19, 2007 - 03:26 PM

I did a bunch of research and I bought the materials off of the internet. This website was the most helpful: http://www.webbikewo...torcycle-parts/

I have made a skidplate, waterpump guard, and some fork wraps.

• PatrickM

Posted August 19, 2007 - 08:05 PM

That looks great!!!!!!

I need to do something like that....Maybe i will have to do that for my bike tomorrow

Patrick M.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted August 20, 2007 - 03:25 PM

Good Idea I was thinking about extending the plastic rad guards[ in front of the rad] with the DR D lowering kit they are really vulnerable. yours looks like a simpler Idea.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted August 20, 2007 - 07:25 PM

Thats a bunch of roost damage. I guess you race in a lot of rocky terrian?

Anyway, looks good. Nice job with the carbon fiber. Maybe you should try to make a few sets and sell them??

• aedwards07

Posted August 23, 2007 - 07:22 AM

Would you be interested in making another skidplate and water pump guard?

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2007 - 07:48 AM

Would you be interested in making another skidplate and water pump guard?

That's the same as a "want ad". Soliciting or offering services isn't allowed here, either. PM's my friend.

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted August 23, 2007 - 05:04 PM

hey kj790, would you be able to pm me the places that you bought the materials and the site's that tells you how to do it, i would love to make a bunch of carbon fiber stuff.

• KJ790

Posted August 24, 2007 - 10:41 AM

I posted a link in a previous response in this thread with the best website I found for learning how to do a carbon fiber lay up. I found teh materials on ebay after doing some internet research. After some practice with it, I found that simple shapes are not that hard to make at all, they are just very time consuming (each layer of resin takes 24 hours to cure and you have to sand like mad). Complex shapes are pretty much impossible to make at home from my experience.

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted August 24, 2007 - 08:51 PM

such as, a front numberplate? would that be because of the vacuum technique? or just painting on the layers, cannot get into crevasses?

i would like to make myself a front number plate and maybe a real carbon fiber visor for my helmet, the helmet is carbon but the visor that came with it. is not..

would it be the same kinda idea as laying fiber glass?

• ben_suhard

Posted August 24, 2007 - 09:02 PM

Nice. Lightspeed have a new product(featured in the October MXA mag) that fits under the fuel tank, it provides air flow and together with some heat sheilds deflects heat from the engine; to keep the fuel cool. That's your next project!:D Thanks for the link too, I didn't know it was possible to make your own carbon fibre stuff.

• BergArabia

Posted August 24, 2007 - 09:23 PM

Looks great.. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.