2007 WR450 Filter Type?

3 replies to this topic
  • AngryRabbit

Posted August 19, 2007 - 12:37 AM

Hey guys,

I've just got my bike back from the mechanics (fixing a stripped thread), and I've found a lot of metal fragments left in my oil filter. A friend of mine has suggested two different methods of cleaning the metal from the engine depending on what type of filter the bike has.

If the bike uses a 'full-flow' filter type, then I should just put a new filter and oil in, run the engine, and check if there is metal left in the filter. If the bike uses a 'bypass' filter type, then I should create a mixture of half kerosene, half oil, and run that through the bike without starting it.

Does anyone know what type of oil filtration system the 2007 WR450 uses, and does anyone have any other suggestions wrt clearing he engine of metal fragments?

Thanks in advance :)

• Mutu

Posted August 19, 2007 - 03:59 PM

Bypass type (on initial start up), but just put a new filter and oil in it.
Some metal fragments are normal for break in, as long as they are not chunks or teeth.

You could give it a diesel flush. This is also one of the best ways to get water out of the engine too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AngryRabbit

Posted August 26, 2007 - 04:10 AM

Thanks for the advice mate.

I put a new filter in and ran the engine for 5 minutes. There was one more long piece of metal thread in the filter, but that was all. Hopefully there hasn't been any major damage.

• waynus

Posted August 28, 2007 - 02:30 AM

Hey Angry Rabbit, One of the best things you can get is a sump magnet, although I'm not sure about the 07's.

In the 06, it stops that crunge getting sucked up by the oil pump, pumped into the frame, into the oil pump again and then into the filter.

You'll find that it also picks up a lot of fine metal that can be so fine as to pass through the filter.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.