new YZ

5 replies to this topic
  • fletcher230

Posted August 18, 2007 - 07:00 PM

alright i just bought a 05 YZ 450 today and im very pleased. my only question is that it seems like the first gear is very high. i was wondering if this is normal and what th resolution is. i was thinking maybe changing the gear or some sprocket change.

• grayracer513

Posted August 18, 2007 - 08:36 PM

It's an MX bike, and they typically have fairly high low gears. But if you bought it used, check the gearing. An '05 came with either a 13/48 or a 14/51. The previous owner may have raised it.

• tnl

Posted August 18, 2007 - 09:17 PM

Mine is a 14/51 combo stock and yes 1st is a little tall especially for trail riding/beginner mx if that's what you're doing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blue9red9

Posted August 19, 2007 - 03:54 PM

I got into this late in life (for the sport) and only rode trail bikes as a youngster. I thought the same thing, man I would like to go slower at first. I just rode onward through my mental problem and it went away. You will get used to it and actually there is no reason on a YZ or any MX bike to have anything lower as 1st gear.

• BergArabia

Posted August 20, 2007 - 08:17 AM

I got into this late in life (for the sport) and only rode trail bikes as a youngster. I thought the same thing, man I would like to go slower at first. I just rode onward through my mental problem and it went away. You will get used to it and actually there is no reason on a YZ or any MX bike to have anything lower as 1st gear.

Yes to what he said.. Just ride it faster and the problem goes away.. as long as you are not in any tight stuff..

• fletcher230

Posted August 20, 2007 - 10:21 AM

yeah i ride in alot of tight stuff.... im thinkin of gearing it down. i dont know ill ride it for a while and see what happens

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.