1st Valve Check - Oil Change question(the process, not the kind of oil =).

3 replies to this topic
  • jhawker21

Posted August 18, 2007 - 06:08 PM

Hey guys -

I have an 02 YZ426.

I attempted my 1st valve check today and it couldn't have gone better. I was able to get to the valve's, all were in spec and looked good! I was very excited that they were in good shape! I did notice some dirt/gunk in my spark plug hole that worried me a bit. Any ideas on how to clean it out without pulling the plug and coating the top of the piston with dirt?

I also changed the oil in my bike for the 1st time.(I bought it used in May and have run about 8-10 hours since) so it was time for a change. I was able to do everthing but I could NOT get the screen out at the bottom of the frame. The book says it's torqued to 65 ft.lbs. Anyone have a trick or the best way to get this out? I pulled as hard as I could and no budge.

Thanks for the help!

• dirtrider04

Posted August 18, 2007 - 06:53 PM

dont bother with the screen not much comes out
kinda point less as far as the sparky i dont know how stuff got in

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 18, 2007 - 08:26 PM

Unless there's been some major failure, or an overhaul done, there's not much reason to pull the screen. It's analogous to the pickup screen in the crankcase of a wet sump system, and they never get cleaned unless the engine's apart, mostly.

It requires a 6-point, 26mm deep socket, and someone to hold the bike.

• jhawker21

Posted August 19, 2007 - 02:57 PM

Thanks Gray!

I was thinking it may be the least necessary part of changing the oil but wanted to make sure!

Thanks for all the help! I love TT, it's great for learning how to maintain my bike.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.