How much metal in oil filter is normal?

6 replies to this topic
  • Kasjok

Posted August 17, 2007 - 10:57 PM

It seems like I have had more and more metal in my oil filter lately. I try to get some pictures when I am going to change the oil again. Bike is from year 2004 and I have changed my oil and filter after every 5 hours.

• BergArabia

Posted August 18, 2007 - 03:58 AM

Not sure but I would be thinking might be time to check the clutch and basket..

• NEKOOHC

Posted August 18, 2007 - 04:08 AM

zero metal in the oil filter is normal , it is normal to have a slight metallic paste on your oil drain plug magnet .

metal in the filter could come from a bearing or rockers / cam .

it is hard to say until you inspect internally .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 18, 2007 - 08:52 AM

It's not at all unusual to find metal debris in the filter, but it should be relatively fine. Slivers of aluminum from the clutch basket/boss are the most common, followed by random chips and slivers from the transmission.

Squarish, flake shaped chips indicate a bearing failure. And of course, the overall quantity found is important, too.

• mike_dean

Posted August 20, 2007 - 04:00 PM

I have 500+ hrs on my YZ426 and have metal in my filter at every oil change, oil changed every 3-5 hrs with mobil 1, bike runs perfect no mechanical failures, has had 1 piston ( didn't need it), has a hinson clutch basket since new, I wish I knew where it comes from, but I guess it doesn't matter. Mike

• NEKOOHC

Posted August 21, 2007 - 06:37 AM

I have 500+ hrs on my YZ426 and have metal in my filter at every oil change, oil changed every 3-5 hrs with mobil 1, bike runs perfect no mechanical failures, has had 1 piston ( didn't need it), has a hinson clutch basket since new, I wish I knew where it comes from, but I guess it doesn't matter. Mike

500 plus hours .... gotta be happy with that !

• mike_dean

Posted August 21, 2007 - 11:07 AM

chooken, very happy with it, most dependable mx bike I've ever owned. I don't overrev and it comes stock with stainless valves, that helps. Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.