YZ off road- why not WR?

22 replies to this topic
  • Baumann

Posted September 04, 2007 - 05:14 PM

I have an '06 YZ450F, and my buddy has an '07 WR450F. I rode my buddies WR450F and a '06 YZ450 before making my decision. Once you get the WR unplugged it does pretty well. But WR power is boring to me, which is good for tight trails, but at the same time, I like the hit of the YZ power when trying to seat bounce big whoops, and pivoting corners, and breaking the back end loose.
The WR has too light of suspension. I'm lighter then my buddy that has his WR, and he completely bottoms out on the lip of small jumps without even getting air born yet. Just a few experiences but bottom line stats IMO:

WR goods
-Electrical(odo, speedo, elec. start, headlight)
-18" rear wheel
-stock spark arrestor
-wide pegs
-soft suspension
-bigger tank
-kickstand
-Transmission

WR bads
-Electrical-More shit to brake, fix etc
-Weight
-Needs uncorked before enjoyable
-Suspension is soft, but TOO soft
-Not exciting to ride

YZ goods
-Motor
-suspension
-Light as hell
-Can easily be made into a WR eater on the trails.

YZ bads
-No electrical
-Smaller tank
-Doesn't have any of the things that make the WR good, but doesn't have anything the WR has to make it bad either. That should tell you it's like comparing apples and oranges, it's just you can make a YZ into a trail beast way easier then you can make a WR into a descent MX bike. And a WR doesn't even come out of the box as a trail beast, you still have to get your handguards, rid the plastic skid plate, and unplug it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ttr125l95

Posted September 04, 2007 - 05:28 PM

Well, since we're both in NM maybe we could hook up and go riding and I could try your WR and see for myself!

Where abouts are you and where do you ride? I'm up by Clayton and when I hit the woods, I go to either Red River or the Canadian River by Amarillo TX. Otherwise, I ride the MX track in Raton.

hey, would be nice but im on the other side of the state. perhaps someday though.
I dont think you could go wrong with either though.

• nephic

Posted September 04, 2007 - 08:37 PM

I actually own both of these bikes. Both are 04's, a yz450f and wr250f. I had the WR first. The WR has all the free mods and the yz has WB E2 exhaust, powernow, protaper throttle, and the quickshot. Honestly, the wr wins out in gas millage and convinience, but I love the YZ. I've ridden both my bikes within the same week as a 07 yz250, and a 2002 wr426. All had there plusses but I think the YZ450f is my favorite. Power everywhere, controlable, fast, forgiving, I just can't say enough about how much I like the bike. I ride forest, MX, and badlands. I can't see getting rid of that bike if you have it already. I paid $1,000 less for my YZ than my WR, but would never trade. Keep the 450. That's just my opinion, and someone else will have another, so good luck, and do what works for you.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.