Broken XR650R Frame

7 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted August 17, 2007 - 04:20 PM

Anyone have stories of XR650R frames being broken? I did a search but it seemed pretty slim on info thank goodness! Please let us know if you can. Thanks guys..:thumbsup:

• eastreich

Posted August 17, 2007 - 08:24 PM

Broke the frame on my 2000; the bike was about 9 months old. I sheared the right side foot peg mount off the frame, and it took a chunk of the frame with it. I was preloading on the takeoff of a 90 foot tabletop when it came undone. I ended up jumping over my father, who had rolled the jump on his KX, with my right foot hanging out in open air. Sketchy.

This was on a Saturday. My dealer called Honda Monday morning, and I had a new frame at no charge to me by Thursday. My broken frame was sent back to Torrance; I am assuming for inspection. If any of you BMW XChallenge owners are reading this, I express my sympathy to you. This is what a company that really cares about a new model motorcycle does.

No problems with the main frame after that. I ended up with a 2001 about 3 months after that due to a blown motor.

I do regulary go through subframes. I can usually only get about a year and a half out of one. The break apart at the upper mounts. I can get them rewelded twice before they are pretty much junk. I am just too hard on my bikes!

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 18, 2007 - 09:39 AM

It is my understanding that some riders can stress the frame enough to crack it behind the right side foot peg at the large frame welds. I have known of one rider cracking two frames in that same spot, which Honda replaced on under warrantee bikes, no questions asked.

• karmataburn

Posted August 18, 2007 - 03:50 PM

Here you go http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=419828 He got the frame straightened and welded. The bike is still going strong a year later. I think breaking it where my buddy did is more common than I realized. I know mine is bent pretty good in the same spot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • philipstjohn

Posted August 19, 2007 - 03:59 AM

It is my understanding that some riders can stress the frame enough to crack it behind the right side foot peg at the large frame welds. I have known of one rider cracking two frames in that same spot, which Honda replaced on under warrantee bikes, no questions asked.

With this individual rider, was there a riding style that may have caused it to happen twice in the same spot? Does he get serious air or would he be considered hard on bikes in general? :eek:

• philipstjohn

Posted August 19, 2007 - 04:04 AM

Broke the frame on my 2000; the bike was about 9 months old. I sheared the right side foot peg mount off the frame, and it took a chunk of the frame with it. I was preloading on the takeoff of a 90 foot tabletop when it came undone. I ended up jumping over my father, who had rolled the jump on his KX, with my right foot hanging out in open air. Sketchy.

This was on a Saturday. My dealer called Honda Monday morning, and I had a new frame at no charge to me by Thursday. My broken frame was sent back to Torrance; I am assuming for inspection. If any of you BMW XChallenge owners are reading this, I express my sympathy to you. This is what a company that really cares about a new model motorcycle does.

No problems with the main frame after that. I ended up with a 2001 about 3 months after that due to a blown motor.

I do regulary go through subframes. I can usually only get about a year and a half out of one. The break apart at the upper mounts. I can get them rewelded twice before they are pretty much junk. I am just too hard on my bikes!

Let me ask you, did you have the foot peg modification done on this bike prior to it shearing off? And, by the way, nice landing considering the circumstances! :thumbsup:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted August 19, 2007 - 03:50 PM

With this individual rider, was there a riding style that may have caused it to happen twice in the same spot? Does he get serious air or would he be considered hard on bikes in general? :eek:

He flat out rides hard and yes gets big air and smashes through the woops. He was not just a big man but very well built. He was one of the few people I have seen that looked like he could throw the XR650R around like a motocross bike. Never the less Honda feels it shouldn't crack because it is ridden hard. Any bike that was purpose built like the XR650R to do the Baja 1000 should be able to handle any abuse you throw at it without cracking the frame.

If you did the right side foot peg modification the frame warrantee is void. Now that my warrantee has expired (I had Honda's four year coverage), I am going to do the right side foot peg mod.

• eastreich

Posted August 19, 2007 - 04:16 PM

Let me ask you, did you have the foot peg modification done on this bike prior to it shearing off? And, by the way, nice landing considering the circumstances! :thumbsup:

I had not done the modification at that point in time. As this was when the bike was just out, we did not have that kind of information up here in the boonies of Montana. I was also one of the very first people up to have one, so I was pretty much on my own.

FWIW, the bolts that are holding the mount to the frame now are not stock. I have not gone with the rewelded peg mount that wraps around to go to both sides of the frame, but I will be fabricating up something this winter when I pull the motor out of the frame to replace the cases.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.