XR650r Dual Sport kit question

13 replies to this topic
  • redwoody

Posted August 17, 2007 - 10:35 AM

ok guys, I want to street-legalize my 650r.
want to be able to ride "mellower" single track and the roads legally. anyway, what kit do you all recommend?
the BajaDesigns kit? or have any of you tried the ElectroSports kit?
thanks.

• eastreich

Posted August 17, 2007 - 12:39 PM

Not that I have used any of the DS kits out there, as you could make a CRF450R road legal in Montana, but I have used lots of different electrical components over the years. I always end up having to replace some other manufacturers junk with stuff from BD to make it work. This lends me believe that in the DS kit world, you would probabaly want to go with the BD kit, even though I am sure that it is more expensive. You get what you pay for!

• redwoody

Posted August 17, 2007 - 02:29 PM

Not that I have used any of the DS kits out there, as you could make a CRF450R road legal in Montana, but I have used lots of different electrical components over the years. I always end up having to replace some other manufacturers junk with stuff from BD to make it work. This lends me believe that in the DS kit world, you would probabaly want to go with the BD kit, even though I am sure that it is more expensive. You get what you pay for!

actually, the ElectroSports kit is about same price if not more. I agree. you do get what you pay for. I want to do this right and avoid any problems. thanks for the advice.

• exaresix

Posted August 17, 2007 - 02:51 PM

I found that using selected components from ProCycle allowed me to assemble the setup I personally wanted at a fraction of the cost of what the "complete system" companies sell, often giving you things in the kit that you may not want.

http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm

This is my setup:

Posted Image
Posted Image

• Black Mesa Offroad

Posted August 17, 2007 - 06:25 PM

I'm using the ProCycle kit myself also.

• exaresix

Posted August 17, 2007 - 06:33 PM

The components offered by ProCycle are pretty much the standard that everyone else is using, be it the handlebar switchgear or the regulator/rectifier. They source their components from the same manufacturers as the "complete kit" companies. I must applaud a company that is willing to work with customers' actual needs rather than take the attitude of "give us $500 or we don't want your business."

• XRR-kat

Posted August 17, 2007 - 06:40 PM

I have the BD kit but am looking to replace it with the Pro-cycle kit. The only kit I could get from BD was the easy mount with the electrics behind the headlight. Convenient but puts weight high and on the handlebars/forks. I am looking to install electrics under the seat and be able to use a slim high wattage headlight like the UFO Ghibli. Also to be able to swap headlights back to stock when none is really needed like for enduros.

The BD kit was the fastest install but I too resent the $$$ for a kit that doesn't have all the best parts - the turn signals came with non-working LEDs in tail and two of the turn signals. Had it for a year and I've since got the Edge2 tail light which is much brighter.

I will say that the LEDs were a good choice cause I still haven't installed my Ricky Stator 200w stator and the bike runs and lights fine.

I would go Pro cycle for the basic wiring and select components like exaresix recommended. Look at Wheeling Cycle supply, Forest's selection of LEd lights. I plan on replacing my BD turns with his LED signals. He also sells a wiring kit which includes a pot-metal main switch which I didn't like - brittle, so returned it. No problem with Forest.

Also take a look at A.H. McLoughlin's (FourStrokes.com) for all kinds of DS pieces and good info.

BTW, the mirrors and mounts took me the longest to decide, locate and receive and were essential to my safety inspection.

Good luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hondacrf150f1

Posted August 17, 2007 - 07:04 PM

baja designs kit is great!
Get it from thumpertalk store! they give you the best price...

i got the full baja kit, with LED brakelight/turn signals, and a key ignition for $486!

if you call baja and ask them questions its way diffornt then calling electosport. BD knows there shit.

heres the complete kit...

http://i200.photobuc...it001Medium.jpg

• InternalCombustion

Posted August 17, 2007 - 07:36 PM

I've used BD, ProCycle and a now-defunct company called E-Line. E-Line's "kit" was pure-dee-old crap. Looked sweet, but turned to crap inside of 6 months.

Replaced various electrical components with components from BD and Procycle. No complaints on any of their stuff.

The problem with a lot of the lesser known kits is they're made cheap and they work cheap. Trust me, a bargain ain't a bargain if it don't work.

Stick with kits or components that have been used by guys on this forum--and that worked for at least a year. Otherwise there will be tears, gnashing of teeth and harsh language. Lots of harsh language.

• exaresix

Posted August 17, 2007 - 07:52 PM

baja designs kit is great!
Get it from thumpertalk store! they give you the best price...

i got the full baja kit, with LED brakelight/turn signals, and a key ignition for $486!

if you call baja and ask them questions its way diffornt then calling electosport. BD knows there shit.

heres the complete kit...

http://i200.photobuc...it001Medium.jpg

Sorry, not my experience. Much prefer to go with quality components rather than the "one size fits all" kit. Show us a pic of your "kit" on the bike.

• ODSC1

Posted August 17, 2007 - 08:55 PM

I just bought an 03 with the Electrosport kit installed. While the kit seemed well made it the headlight assembly felt like it added 50 pounds to the bike. As soon as I got the bike plated I removed the complete kit (it's not really needed here anyways).

At some point I'll make my own DS setup. Probably like a lot of Euro models, I'll have everything except turn signals and no battery.

Brian

• eastreich

Posted August 17, 2007 - 09:17 PM

Redwoody, you should just hop the border and register your bike in Montana. We have got to have the most lazy DMV on the planet.

To get a plate, you go down to DMV and get the official checklist. You go home (or out to the parking lot out of sight) and check off the saftey inspection and sign it YOURSELF. No police inspection invovled. Take the form back in, and get your plate.

Now if you get pulled over by the fuzz and they decide to do a spot inspection, the fines can be kinda high. But if you are just going to be hitting some roads in connecting trails, they don't even care.

My DS kit consisted of a brake light switch, and putting a led setup under the stock taillight cover on my XR650R. One Acerbis folding mirror, and I was done. MT does not require any turn signals, and I have a horn, but I didn't put it on. I ride the bike all over, and the only time I got hassled was because the County sheriff wanted to take the bike for a spin!

• hondacrf150f1

Posted August 18, 2007 - 05:06 PM

heres some...
http://i200.photobuc...it012Medium.jpg

http://i200.photobuc...it013Medium.jpg

http://i200.photobuc...it008Medium.jpg

• exaresix

Posted August 18, 2007 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for the photos! Yep, that's one of the $500 "complete kit" units.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.