2007 WR250 vs WR450

16 replies to this topic
  • indaho

Posted August 17, 2007 - 05:20 AM

Thanks for all the hours of great readings here fella's. I have decided to finally enter the sport after years of yurning. I have recently changed my mind from buying a new DRZ400e to a Yamaha. Well to be honest I always wanted a Yamaha but money and bulletproofness of the DRZ had me on that track for a while and now I realise that I need to go with what I want and that is blue. Was afraid if I bought a DRZ I would get sick of it or tired of guys blowing past me.

I am 6' and weigh about 235(104kgs). I live in Vic australia and will be riding alot of fire roads and some single track. I live within 20 minutes of great trails and 40 minutes from spectacular trails. Having not have riden a dirt bike in 20 years I am not sure what I can handle and need some help with choosing a WR250 or 450. I will use the bike for some commuting, getting to trails and maybe work (25minutes) on the rare occasion. I have read many many posts. I know the 450 has alot of power and is better on road, but not in single track and the 250 better single track but not on road.

I am excited to get dirty and try some maintenence but with family and work and my other love, Golf I do not want to be spending hours in the garage, and i certainly do not want a bike that will only last a few years. Now I am definetly leaning towards the 450, because I know I will never need more power than that beast.

Please HELP ME! What are opinions from those of you who have riden both?

• clark4131

Posted August 17, 2007 - 05:29 AM

From the FAQ...

Q: Should I get the 250 or 450?
A: Read this, then decide.

No charge...SC

• FreeRideSouth

Posted August 17, 2007 - 07:32 AM

450, you will quickly grow out of the 250. Also you were worried about everyone "blowing by" you.

• dustinw

Posted August 17, 2007 - 07:56 AM

You're big enough, you'll probably want the 450. I made the same decision recently, picked the 450.

A lot of this is how comfortable you are with power. I've been riding 150HP+ sportbikes that I don't think have enough. I know myself, and I really can never have enough HP. I have the practice with throttle control, and am not reckless, quite the contrary, I can be a little bit too cautious sometimes. But once I get used to something I will take advantage of it to it's fullest extent possible. Which means I will tend to quickly outgrow stuff if I don't buy the biggest/fastest/etc.

Posted August 17, 2007 - 08:00 AM

5'8"-155lbs and ride an '06wr450f on single tracks. It's a bit heavy at times but you won't hear me cry about it being to big! lots of power-lots of fun! IMHO buy a 250 then spend money on making more power. Buy a450 and you will always have it!

• indaho

Posted August 18, 2007 - 04:42 AM

Thanks for your comments. I have read so many threads, some say 450 is fine for beginner others say it is near suicide? Am I too big for a 250. Too be absolutely honest I am ballsy but not stupid. I will riding 4 wheel drive tracks and forest roads. A lot of posts say the 250 is better for this type of woods riding. Whats your opinion on this. Any one out there my size or close on a 250?

• erickdj

Posted August 18, 2007 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for your comments. I have read so many threads, some say 450 is fine for beginner others say it is near suicide? Am I too big for a 250. Too be absolutely honest I am ballsy but not stupid. I will riding 4 wheel drive tracks and forest roads. A lot of posts say the 250 is better for this type of woods riding. Whats your opinion on this. Any one out there my size or close on a 250?

Go for the 450 if you can afford it. I'm much smaller than you(5'6 180lbs) and I'm doing fine with a fully uncorked 450, and I'm by no means an experienced rider. I'm a total newbie, I've only been riding for a little over a year. Before the wr450 I had a TTR250, the 250 had some power to it, but it got me bored within a few months. The wr450 on the other hand, has TONS of power, but that doesn't mean you have to use it all, just be careful and you'll be fine. As you get better you'll learn to use the 450's power to your advantage.

• Nostalgic

Posted August 18, 2007 - 06:03 AM

I'm new to all this but may be able to help.

I had NEVER ridden a motorcycle of any sort until a few months ago when I bought a 2003 WR450. My brother just bout a Honda XR250 so I now get to ride both. I'm 6'5" and weigh 215lbs.

1) The 450 scares him, me and every one of our friends that ride it.

2) On tight trails it is just plain too big for me as a beginner to handle. That throttle is so darn responsive and powerful. The bike is truly big and top heavy. It can go where it wants to.

3) The above statement only applies to very tight trails. I laid it down once and that was on a tight trail with big rocks, tree limbs, and ruts from 4-wheelers.

4) On somewhat wider trails it would be totally fine!

5) On the street and in more open off road areas, I absolutely PREFER my 450 over the 250.

6) The answer to number 5: It's wider and seems bigger for people our size (although the frame is the same). That extra power is just nice to have when you aren't at risk of getting into trouble. The 450 just looks and rides better than a 250 for people our size. You also will make it last longer. The 250 flies through the gears while the 450 effortlessly hauls you around.

7) If you make a mistake by accidentally pulling on the throttle, either will make you pay. BUT, the 450 can make you pay harder and you are more likely to get into that bad situation in the tight stuff while on a 450.

Not sure if this helps or not, just my experience as a new guy to all of this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 18, 2007 - 08:45 AM

Here's my common response to this question.

The wr40 was my first dirt bike after riding street bikes for 20 years. It scared the crap out of me, made me tentative and somewhat afraid at times. 1st year was painful, broken foot, arm, wrist and sprained ankle from three different crashes. That really sucks when you really gotta go to work on monday... I did solicit opinions from the TT message boards and I mostly got responses that said "Stop twisting the thottle so much". It was good advice, but its not easy to always know when to speed up and when to slow down when you are a beginner Its been two years and I am ok on it now that I've had it lowered a bit and changed the gearing a little.

My opinion and experience is that a wr250 is perfect for someone starting out, even at your weight. I've been riding my wr450 pretty consistently in the california desert and I even race and do enduros and I very rarely if ever run the bike at wide open throttle.

Why not get a used wr250, save a ton of money and get some good experience. After a year or two, trade the bike for a 450 (new or used). This will be the safest approach and I think you will learn faster on the 250 than on the 450.

• shifty450

Posted August 18, 2007 - 09:24 AM

You learn the most through experience.

You're a big dude. Get the 450. Go through your growing pains of learning your limits and the limits of the bike. In the end, in my humble opinion, that's the best way to go.

• Bamster

Posted August 18, 2007 - 11:39 AM

It's not a matter of growing out of a 250 but the fact that you are way to big for a 250. Plus I think riding down under is mainly done in wide open spaces.
The 250 only out shines the 450 in tight single track.
Get the 450.

• indaho

Posted August 18, 2007 - 01:52 PM

Fortunetly Oz is not all outback. I live in Victoria and 90% of my riding will be on logging tracks and 4x4 roads which can be rutted and tight. Lots of trees and roots as well. If I was only riding in wide open spaces I would have no problem or worries buying the 450. Its the tight stuff and rutted sections that are worrying me.

• gelean01

Posted August 18, 2007 - 03:19 PM

I have the 450 and its great. I'm 6,2 195lbs and the bike doesn't ever feel to big. The power is so smooth you can easily choose how much you want or don't want. I seem to always choose "WANT" and I'm pretty new to Dirt Biking, although you may not think you need that extra power believe me you do, especially if your going out on the open road, my Wr will cruise at 60 MPH with ease and not be reving out at all.

• Bamster

Posted August 18, 2007 - 05:34 PM

logging tracks and 4x4 roads which can be rutted and tight

Where I ride , we consider that the wide open spaces.

• Bandit9

Posted August 19, 2007 - 06:52 AM

Where I ride , we consider that the wide open spaces.

Same here. Actually where I live, those are illegal for us to ride on. We HAVE to stay on a singletrack path or quad width path.

My 2 cents, the 450 ideal for your situation. I owned a 250f, I weigh 220, I cried and cried and cried over the lack of bottom end power. You can get by on the 250F, but you will be riding it on the pipe, clutching, and shifting to move you with any purpose. A much lighter rider doesn't have that issue.

• jpoehls

Posted August 19, 2007 - 07:41 AM

Your over 6" and 235; that makes this a simple answer. A 250 will simply not make you happy powerwise if you are an average rider. If you were talking 2 smokers, then a 250 is it. In four strokes, a 250 is good for a smaller rider, but I would not recommend for someone your size, especially if you do any technical riding in hills.

Do not make the same mistake I made. I bought on 06 DRZ400S...Only to spend tons of money on mods and realize in the end, it is too heavy. Had plenty of power and very reliable, but terribly top heavy (305) on the hills and tight turns. I ride 90% off-road. If I was 50/50...the DRZ would probably be the bike as it handles better on the road due to it is heavier. The lighter you go, the less stable the bike is on the road. Chose your poison.

The WR450 is incredible. Its better to have more power than not enough IMHO. Get the 450, you will be more than satisfied. Their is not a better enduro bike for the rider that is 80% dirt or higher. Their are quite a few good bikes in the 450 class, but the Yami seems to have the best overall score of pertinent features. I think it handles awesome in the tough technical stuff. I am not an open track rider though...I do a lot of climbing and mountain riding in Utah.:worthy:

• andrea420

Posted August 19, 2007 - 10:09 PM

I'd go with the 450.. I'm 5'4, 125/130lbs and I ride a Honda 450R, and I'm going to be switching to a 07 WR450 very shortly.. If I can handle it, you can too :)
Oh, and I've been riding for a year and a half

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.