WR450 or CRF450X... reliability, maintenance, etc...

26 replies to this topic
  • JSanfilippo

Posted August 20, 2007 - 11:33 AM

So how do they turn? Like coming out of g-outs? does it push at all?

IMHO the initial turn in isn't as good as the honda. I'm running the stock fork height and about 15 mm too much sag. Once I get the suspension set-up I expect it to turn better. Pushing it in deep sand does cause the front to push, but thats probably the crappy dunlop 739 front tire more than anything. In loam and blue grove it stays planted

The bike is super stable though at speed. At this point I wouldn't trade the high speed stability for sharper steering turn in but thats just me.

• hotdog7

Posted August 20, 2007 - 11:54 AM

I have a 2002 wr426 and jetted gray wire cut yz stop jadine 4 muffler power now and my bike top speed is only 80 to 84 mph :cry:

• Tattooart

Posted August 20, 2007 - 05:08 PM

IMHO the initial turn in isn't as good as the honda. I'm running the stock fork height and about 15 mm too much sag. Once I get the suspension set-up I expect it to turn better. Pushing it in deep sand does cause the front to push, but thats probably the crappy dunlop 739 front tire more than anything. In loam and blue grove it stays planted

The bike is super stable though at speed. At this point I wouldn't trade the high speed stability for sharper steering turn in but thats just me.

Thank you! So I just need to do some front end work to make it turn like a honda. :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ffgman

Posted August 20, 2007 - 08:18 PM

The yami is without a doubt less mantenence. Both are awesome bikes. If you keep up on your valve clearences and the regular mantainence both will last longer than you will. The yami motor has been around alot longer and there is alot of answers why the valves last longer, Ive been under the impression that the smaller valve size(5 versus) 4 is the reason, who knows. Even the sell out magazines wont argue the fact that the yami's are more dependable(even though its never in bold print). Both are great bikes when set up properly. good luck

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 20, 2007 - 09:53 PM

Thank you! So I just need to do some front end work to make it turn like a honda. :lol:

Whats so funny?

If you read my post, you would have noticed that I'm running about 15mm sag more than I should. Cranking in 2 turns of preload should make it worlds better.

What I'm saying is the bike isn't even set up for my weight. I'll report once I dial in the suspension :thumbsup:

• Tattooart

Posted August 21, 2007 - 11:02 AM

Whats so funny?

If you read my post, you would have noticed that I'm running about 15mm sag more than I should. Cranking in 2 turns of preload should make it worlds better.

What I'm saying is the bike isn't even set up for my weight. I'll report once I dial in the suspension :thumbsup:

Relax man I was just joking around.

I am not going to get in to a yamaha and honda battle here. :thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 21, 2007 - 10:25 PM

Relax man I was just joking around.

I never know these days :cheers: I'm easily confused by anything and everything:cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.