Oilcapacity - some won't like this!

14 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted August 16, 2007 - 04:28 PM

I remember a thread here and there where someone would insist their "L" took significantly more than the recommended 2.06 quarts and it started a pretty good debate. My intention is not to start one now, but I will tell you that mine takes 2.75 quarts to get it an inch from the top mark of the dipstick. First oil change I actually ended up putting a little more than that in to get it to the top mark (where I like it) when warm. I never had any smoking and in 700 miles I didn't lose any (there was a tiny amount in the bottom of the airbox that I noticed when I cleaned the air filter at the same time). I checked, double checked and checked again, but 2 quarts doesn't even get me on the dipstick.:excuseme: Just tossing that out there.

PS Yes, I'm checking it according to the manual.

• txmedic

Posted August 16, 2007 - 05:17 PM

I just did my first change today. Drained the frame and crankcase, changed the filter and measured out exactly 2 quarts. After riding it for 20 minutes, it was 2/3 of the way up the grid on the dip stick.

• Bibleman

Posted August 16, 2007 - 05:20 PM

I don't doubt your results. But I'm curious why there are different capacities being reported. Perhaps the size of the reservoir in the frame varies somewhat from bike to bike?

• Suds

Posted August 16, 2007 - 06:43 PM

I just did my first change today. Drained the frame and crankcase, changed the filter and measured out exactly 2 quarts. After riding it for 20 minutes, it was 2/3 of the way up the grid on the dip stick.

Were you able to add both quarts at once? According to the manual and other posts I've read, you should only be able to put in 1 quart. Then let it idle for a bit before adding another quart.
The reason I ask is because when I did my first change, I was able to pour 2 quarts in right away without letting it idle. Then I let it warm up a bit and checked the level. I ended up adding another 4 to 5 ounces to get it up to the top mark.

Today I let it warm up for 4 to 5 minutes and waited a minute or two and checked the level, and there wasn't any oil on the dip stick at all. It had only been 300 miles since that 1st change, and the few other times I checked it, the level was fine. Again I added like 5 ounces and let it idle a bit and it was right up to the upper mark. Hmm, something don't seem right.

Man do I miss my 230's system. Put a quart in and ride it until the next change...

Suds

• txmedic

Posted August 16, 2007 - 06:50 PM

I put in 1.5 quarts, idled for a couple of minutes then added the last .5 quart. I've noticed on most of my bikes that the oil reads low if I don't get them up to operating temp before shutting them off. I guess the oil is thicker when cool and doesn't drain down as well.

• philipstjohn

Posted August 16, 2007 - 07:38 PM

You must have an unique 650L...the more oil the better...:p :bonk:

• Huffa 2

Posted August 17, 2007 - 01:10 AM

I remember a thread here and there where someone would insist their "L" took significantly more than the recommended 2.06 quarts and it started a pretty good debate. My intention is not to start one now, but I will tell you that mine takes 2.75 quarts to get it an inch from the top mark of the dipstick. First oil change I actually ended up putting a little more than that in to get it to the top mark (where I like it) when warm. I never had any smoking and in 700 miles I didn't lose any (there was a tiny amount in the bottom of the airbox that I noticed when I cleaned the air filter at the same time). I checked, double checked and checked again, but 2 quarts doesn't even get me on the dipstick.:excuseme: Just tossing that out there.

PS Yes, I'm checking it according to the manual.

Mines the same way, NO WAY, NO MATTER how I check it is 2 quarts sufficient what so ever, 2.75.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bibleman

Posted August 17, 2007 - 04:22 AM

I don't know what the mechanism is that allows the oil to eventually seep from the frame to the engine, but maybe some are more free-flowing than others. That's the only other thing I can think of. Either way, it's more of a curiosity than anything else I guess.

• martinfan30

Posted August 17, 2007 - 06:42 AM

mine takes 2.25 qts. to the full level.

• Denn10

Posted August 17, 2007 - 08:13 AM

I put 2 QTs in then start it and add about 3/4 more just like BIBLE said fill to top of hash marks so its right on the full side. I can only think people fill to different spots on the dipstick to make such variances. Ill bet low to high on the stick is at least 1/2 qt 2.06 from the manual is prolly the minimum amount to get above the low.

• martinfan30

Posted August 17, 2007 - 08:33 AM

i think so too. also, the full level mark is at a different level on the temp dipstick than it is on the stock one.

• axarob44

Posted August 17, 2007 - 10:18 AM

I changed my oil and filter the other day and used 2.75 Qt's. I have no oil overflow in the air box and it reads right on the full mark when checked per Honda Service Manual. I was concerned about putting that much oil in, but I figured if it was too much it would spit it out if it was too much. Has anyone checked the oil level bolt hole on the right side crank case? I'm not sure of the procedure on when to check it. Run it and check warm? Or just check it cold? Will it equal it self out if its too much? Or will it dump it all out? I guess I really don't understand how the oil system works.I think that's what it's supposed to do, drain to the right level. I'm not sure how to do it though, the manual doesn't say when to check, hot or cold?

• martinfan30

Posted August 17, 2007 - 10:21 AM

i do mine at operating temp.

• Bibleman

Posted August 17, 2007 - 02:48 PM

Hmm, 2.06 to get it to the bottom of the dipstick may be what the answer is. Good thinking!

• Old Dog

Posted August 17, 2007 - 09:21 PM

After I drain the oil (from the crancase and the frame) and change the filter, I add 2 litres, which brings it to the very bottom of the dipstick, I then run the engine for a few minutes, shut it down and then add enough to bring it up the the top mark on the dipstick, which is almost exactly 1 liter more. So when I change my oil and filter it takes 3 liters. I've checked my airbox for oil from the crankcase breather, there is none. Bike has run fine doing this for numerous changes.:applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.