Which is the best air filter

16 replies to this topic
  • Frank ZX

Posted August 15, 2007 - 10:24 PM

I need a new air filter.I ride mostly on the street.Should I get a Uni,Twin Air,or a K&N?Which one flows the most air?

• crash90

Posted August 15, 2007 - 10:30 PM

K&N flows the most air

• Denn10

Posted August 16, 2007 - 05:37 AM

K&N flows the most air

How do you know that? I doubt any of us have done flow tests on the 3 filters to know this.

I would recommend the UNI and i think its prolly the most popular around here.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted August 16, 2007 - 05:54 AM

im not sure which one is better for airflow, but uni is most popular for off-road and dirt riding conditions, the K&N would be better if you were 100% road

• creeky

Posted August 16, 2007 - 06:20 AM

UNI and Twin Air have worked well for me, tried K&N quite a few years ago and found grit in the airbox a couple of times, haven't used them since.

• martinfan30

Posted August 16, 2007 - 06:43 AM

i can tell you k&N absolutely flows more air--- it also flows more dirt.
i would never put one of those on anything i own unless i was racing and O/H the engine after every race. the uni or twin air foams are the way to go. if you run a k&n, check the intake tube after a while. it will be coated with a nice layer of fine dirt-- uni that i use doesnt.

• Talonboy

Posted August 16, 2007 - 07:31 AM

A clean K&N flows the most air, but filters the worst. It should be fine for street use. A foam filter is the best for off-road use. UNI and Twin-air are both good foam filters.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted August 16, 2007 - 02:58 PM

A clean K&N flows the most air, but filters the worst. It should be fine for street use. A foam filter is the best for off-road use. UNI and Twin-air are both good foam filters.

true
Dont use K&N off-road, i have one on my 250L and if im riding in dusty stuff i clean the airbox every 1-2 rides

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eastreich

Posted August 16, 2007 - 03:25 PM

I used a K&N for about a month, until I found the previously mentioned silt past the filter. IF you will only see pavement, it is the way to go. IF you may see dirt, don't!

I typically stick with the stock filter, but that is just because I have a whole stack of 'em. Really like the Uni for it's sealing lip. Not a huge fan of the Twin-Air. It seems a little thin to me. Not that this effects its filtering abilities, I just wonder if the sidepanel can get enough pressure on the edge to seal as well as the Uni or stocker.

I am going to a 24hr race in a few months. For that race we are using the Ready Racing filters. New one in at each and every pit stop, and throw the old one away.

• walshdanielm1965

Posted August 16, 2007 - 03:43 PM

+1 for UNI

• Bibleman

Posted August 16, 2007 - 04:49 PM

Uni here too. I have nothing to compare it to, but I just got done riding in very dusty conditions and when I took the filter off to clean it there was no dirt to be found on the "clean" side of the airbox. Good enough for me:prof:

• brp2004

Posted August 17, 2007 - 07:43 AM

I rock the K&N on the road, and on the dirt if there is no dust. No dirt/dust in airbox past the filter. Any chance of dust use the stocker or the others.

• exaresix

Posted August 17, 2007 - 03:52 PM

I rock the K&N on the road, and on the dirt if there is no dust. No dirt/dust in airbox past the filter. Any chance of dust use the stocker or the others.

I agree, the stock foam filter is excellent, it's free with the purchase of the bike, and it flows just like any other foam filter.

• martinfan30

Posted August 17, 2007 - 08:50 PM

I agree, the stock foam filter is excellent, it's free with the purchase of the bike, and it flows just like any other foam filter.

stock foam air filter?? mine came with a paper element filter.

• eastreich

Posted August 17, 2007 - 09:06 PM

stock foam air filter?? mine came with a paper element filter.

That's because you've got an L. We are talking about the R's and the big slab of foam mounted sideways behind the left side number plate. The K&N for the R has a good portion of rubber surrounding it that does not sit perfectly in the edging around the airbox. This allows dust and fine particles to pass (unless you put a large amount of grease around the edge). The K&N also flows more air through the filter media, but this is due to the fact that a properly oiled K&N will allow larger particles to pass than a properly oiled foam filter like the OEM or Uni.

• Frank ZX

Posted August 18, 2007 - 09:04 AM

I ordered a UNI filter today.Thanks for everyones input.I love this site,lots of info!

• resslera

Posted August 18, 2007 - 10:52 AM

You will like the Uni. Nice snug fit around all edges. Before you install, hold the Uni aluminum fram in the box and bend until it fits best.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.