Mystery liquid on swing arm

12 replies to this topic
  • BLUEDUDE

Posted August 15, 2007 - 03:54 PM

I let my brother ride my 426 today and after he was done riding, I noticed this grayish liquid on the side of the swing arm.Posted Image
At first I thought that it was coming from the airbox drain tube, but when I took off the filter there was nothing. I then though that it was shock oil, but there is no splatter on the spring, plastic or sub frame. and its not gas because it doesn't smell like it. So what could it be? Im stumped.

• bigwake

Posted August 15, 2007 - 04:04 PM

could it be from your chain?..or maybe he hit a puddle of sumthing..and it happened to only hit one spot coming off the chain..it looks like oil though..did you recently spray any type of grease cleaner or anything on that area..mine does that after i work on it and stuff drips..

• Jaycycle

Posted August 15, 2007 - 04:08 PM

Hmmmm. At first I was going to say it was chain lube or something.. but doesn't look like it. Then I was thinking it was air filter oil dripping from the bottom of the air box, but you said that wasn't it. My only guess is that your chain is to tight and its eating the chain guide, and thats some (melted) residue...?

Hows it look under the chain guide (ie where does the black stuff go)?

• bigwake

Posted August 15, 2007 - 04:19 PM

Hmmmm. At first I was going to say it was chain lube or something.. but doesn't look like it. Then I was thinking it was air filter oil dripping from the bottom of the air box, but you said that wasn't it. My only guess is that your chain is to tight and its eating the chain guide, and thats some (melted) residue...?

Hows it look under the chain guide (ie where does the black stuff go)?

great point! could be the chain slider thing melting

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2007 - 04:36 PM

It wouldn't melt on the side away from the friction and up against a mass of heat sucking aluminum. :rolleyes:

It's oil/solvent residue that was trapped under the slider.

• BLUEDUDE

Posted August 15, 2007 - 05:08 PM

It wouldn't melt on the side away from the friction and up against a mass of heat sucking aluminum. :rolleyes:

that also came to mind, but I havent washed or lubed my bike in over a month. Also, I took another ride about an hour after taking the picture and It did the exact same thing. it seems to be comming from the air box drain tube, but there is no sign of a liquid of that quantity in the airbox to drip on to the swing arm. to be on the safe side, I'll plug the drain tube and see if it happens again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted August 16, 2007 - 05:32 AM

Where is the crankcase breather terminating on your bike?

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2007 - 05:46 AM

Good question.

It could also be fuel "stand off", the drops of gasoline that will back up beyond the carb intake at low speeds, sometimes partly due to too high a float level. Possibly also air filter oil running off because it's been dissolved by fuel, or it simply isn't any good.

What ever it is may be running onto or through the filter so as not to be otherwise visible in the air box. The drain will let it out before a significant amount collects.

• Jaycycle

Posted August 16, 2007 - 06:34 AM

Gee sorry, just an idea.

• BLUEDUDE

Posted August 16, 2007 - 09:38 AM

Good question.

It could also be fuel "stand off", the drops of gasoline that will back up beyond the carb intake at low speeds, sometimes partly due to too high a float level. Possibly also air filter oil running off because it's been dissolved by fuel, or it simply isn't any good.

What ever it is may be running onto or through the filter so as not to be otherwise visible in the air box. The drain will let it out before a significant amount collects.

this morning I pluged the drain tube with a bit of paper towel and did some laps around the back yard. when I was done riding, the drips were still there and the towel piece that I put in the drain tube was dry. is it possible that my swing arm is full of some kind of liquid and it only come out when the rear suspention is compressed? or maybe my shock is squirting out oil on to the chain guard? I dont know anymore.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 16, 2007 - 10:05 AM

loosen the chain slider and see what is there....my guess Shock oil....looks like worn out shock oil - check the shock

• tnl

Posted August 16, 2007 - 02:15 PM

I can't remember what the swingarm looked liked before I did the chain slider guard mod on my bike but is it possible that there is a swing arm weep hole under or near that residue location that got full of water/sand/mud and is leaking like it should? Just a guess?

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2007 - 03:30 PM

is it possible that my swing arm is full of some kind of liquid and it only come out when the rear suspention is compressed?

remove the rear lower chain slider bolt and see if anything runs out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.