changing front wheel bearings and seals

8 replies to this topic
  • Appalachian DR

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:16 PM

Do you need a press or any special tools for this little job or is something I can do with the trusty Craftsman set? Thanks.

• dr x

Posted August 15, 2007 - 05:37 PM

You dont need a press, just tap them in square with a socket a shade smaller than the OD of the bearing....oh and dont forget to put your spacer back in.

• new2blu

Posted August 15, 2007 - 06:45 PM

No special tools--just a long tapered punch,hammer to remove the old bearings. Will need a hammer and socket to re-install new bearings.

• GCannon

Posted August 15, 2007 - 09:12 PM

I just did this job the other night. It is very simple. The front bearings are not sealed like the rear. you should pack them very well with good grease before installation.

My local Stealership was cheaper than the piviot works kit. (I know hard to belive) Check the TT store the Tax you save may pay the shipping.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Appalachian DR

Posted August 16, 2007 - 02:05 AM

Thanks guys!

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 16, 2007 - 02:17 AM

I've been buying sealed front wheel bearings and seals off of eBay lately and have been very satisfied with the price and quality. They should still be repacked with grease before installation.

I put the bearings (all greased up and ready to go) in the freezer about a half hour before installation. Just before I install them, I heat up the hub with a propane torch. They literally drop right in that way. Once everything returns to normal temperatures the bearings are in nice and tight.

• GCannon

Posted August 16, 2007 - 07:27 AM

Nice one rich! I am curious what brand or country of manufacturer your sealed bearings are from?

• Appalachian DR

Posted August 16, 2007 - 04:04 PM

Thanks Rich. I went with the ones on ebay too. Good to know someone is happy with them.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 20, 2007 - 07:17 PM

Nice one rich! I am curious what brand or country of manufacturer your sealed bearings are from?

I have no idea.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.