installing rear wheel 426

6 replies to this topic
  • Type Gendy

Posted August 15, 2007 - 12:40 PM

I'm trying to throw my rear wheel back on the bike for the first time, and i'm finding it doesnt fit. I noticed when i took the wheel off that it was very snug and once it came out the swingarm tightened up about an inch. NOw replacing it i need to try and spread the swingarm and inch to fit hte brake caliper bracket in.

IS THIS NORMAL?? I have triple checked to make sure the spacers were in the appropriate spot, what am i doing wrong??

TIA, gendy

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2007 - 01:22 PM

It's definitely not normal for the swing arm to snap inward when the wheel is pulled. Either the swing arm is damaged, or the wheel/spacers isn't stacked up right. It should slide right in. Maybe some swapped in parts from a previous owner? Non-stock wheels?

• Type Gendy

Posted August 15, 2007 - 01:29 PM

Yea the bike came with excel rims and talon hubs. I have checked to make sure they were correct for the bike.

Anywhere i can see pics of the spacers and have far they should be in to see if thats an issue?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Type Gendy

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:03 PM

Here are some pics of my spacers if anybody sees something wrong... Could the sprocket side not be in far enough?

Posted Image
Posted Image

• moto2000

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:35 PM

What is your overall width of your wheel including the spacers?

My stock wheel is 173 mm or about 6 13/16"

BTW... the sprocket side spacer/seal looks odd.....do you have a better pic of that area?

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2007 - 03:12 PM

What is your overall width of your wheel including the spacers?

My stock wheel is 173 mm or about 6 13/16"

BTW... the sprocket side spacer/seal looks odd.....do you have a better pic of that area?

Does look a little unusual, like the seal is pushed part way out.

Use the dimension given above to check the swing arm spread, too. It should be very close to that same number when measured between the inside of the brake anchor over to the drive side of the arm.

• Type Gendy

Posted August 15, 2007 - 05:44 PM

I guess the sprocket side spacer or collar that slides thru the wheel was not in far enough. Thats why that rubber seal didnt look right because it could slide in or out about 1/4" inch. so i tapped it in till it was snug on the bushing and the wheel slid right in like it should.

Not sure how they ever got the wheel on like it was, or why they would have tried, anyways she's all back in one piece and rolling smoothly again!

thanks guys :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.