XR650R Oversize Front Brake Rotors??

26 replies to this topic
  • InternalCombustion

Posted August 17, 2007 - 04:27 AM

thread the banjo in with the line off, and measure how far it sticks out when it bottoms by hand.

then measure the width of the fitting+crush washers. if its withing 2 thread widths, its too long.

Ahhhh! Got it!

I will check it this weekend.

Thanks nuke and eastreich!

• jesusgatos

Posted August 18, 2007 - 01:29 PM

Switched over to a YZF front wheel assembly...

• Potts228

Posted August 19, 2007 - 07:33 PM

Thinking of upgrading my stock front rotor. The XR's only kit (rotor caliper extender ect) is $299. A little pricy. Is it worth it and or is there a more economical way to go?????

OK... I read all of the posts and here is the deal... Team Honda did in fact use the "BRAKING" oversized wave rotor. This is expensive ($299.00) and you can buy the EBC oversized kit for around $150.00. This is NOT the Super Motard 320mm deal but the 280mm I believe. It makes a HUGE difference and if you ride a 650R you need and the oversized disk. The bike is just to heavy for the stock sized rotor to work well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted August 19, 2007 - 07:49 PM

Now I am going to figure this is for racing or Motard. So, money is not always a consideration till it's time to pay the bills and then you find that it's time to work overtime. Got to keep the priorities, stoping on your bike at high speed is more important then the electric bill right? I think my wife understands that.

If you are going to an oversized front rotor you might want to go with the Gafer stainless steel braided brake line also or first. I also am starting to think that the stock brake pads are best. I have tried all of them and will be going back to stock pads next. I have tried EBC, Galfer, Tusk and what ever the guy at the counter would give me. I am going to blead the front brakes again using vacuum. I do like a full floating front rotor. If it is made right (centered) there is much less drag when running free, braking is much more even. All these things should be thought about when thinking brakes.

• eastreich

Posted August 20, 2007 - 10:55 AM

Paid $100 for complete YZF wheel assembly w/ brake disc. It may not be a Honda wheel, but it bolted right on and it was CHEAP!

• jesusgatos

Posted August 20, 2007 - 11:39 AM

Thanks, that's good to know.

• eastreich

Posted August 20, 2007 - 12:21 PM

Before I purchased the YZF wheel, I cross referenced the wheel bearings, and found that they would fit the axle on my USDs. The wheel spacers lined everything up perfectly, but I have the ability to machine new ones if they didn't.

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.