XR650R Oversize Front Brake Rotors??

26 replies to this topic
  • Thumpdog400

Posted August 15, 2007 - 11:57 AM

Thinking of upgrading my stock front rotor. The XR's only kit (rotor caliper extender ect) is $299. A little pricy. Is it worth it and or is there a more economical way to go?????

• ThunderChicken

Posted August 15, 2007 - 12:23 PM

I think the Braking kit is cheaper and it's used by Team Honda offroad.

I've never used a larger rotar in the front, not by choice, just never got around to it...

• ogrider650

Posted August 15, 2007 - 12:30 PM

come on you don't need brakes on the XR just throttle :-)

• Denn10

Posted August 15, 2007 - 12:50 PM

yeah i would check prices for Braking and EBC maybe get a few other quotes ya know im sure you will love whatever you get, might even look into a better brake line if you got the stocker on still.

• Bigmutha

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:15 PM

I just purchased the Braking wave rotor, not the oversized one. Does anybody have this?

• Blakerj10

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:21 PM

I used and EBC 280 mm for a while. Loved the feel and power, but... The rotor is constructed as a full floating style with 6 (i think) brass bushing deals that allows the motor to move in realtion to the center rotor mount. One knock on a rock, and I could not get it centered again. Then the front wheel would not rotate long while wheeling and makes it hard to balance/steer.

• philipstjohn

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:42 PM

I have never heard of anyone complaining their brake system made them lose a race... I thought Team Honda when racing Baja uses the stock brake system?

• xrfred

Posted August 15, 2007 - 06:13 PM

if you ride on the street get a 320 motomaster is the way to go much better than ebc but availibility of either may make up your mind for you

• tdamore

Posted August 15, 2007 - 08:51 PM

come on you don't need brakes on the XR just throttle :-)

Thats cause you never get out of second gear :p

• porterdog

Posted August 16, 2007 - 07:54 AM

I use the EBC 320mm conversion on my XRR 'tard. Hella stopping power; really fun. A bit of a slitch to fit, however- the reloc bracket didn't seem exactly correct (at least for my setup) and I had to grind a bunch of material off the backside to keep it clear of the buttons.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ogrider650

Posted August 16, 2007 - 08:33 AM

so this thread is mainly about tarding? right becasue i don't know if the brakes would make that much difference in the dirt right?

• eastreich

Posted August 16, 2007 - 08:37 AM

I used and EBC 280 mm for a while. Loved the feel and power, but... The rotor is constructed as a full floating style with 6 (i think) brass bushing deals that allows the motor to move in realtion to the center rotor mount. One knock on a rock, and I could not get it centered again. Then the front wheel would not rotate long while wheeling and makes it hard to balance/steer.

I had the same EBC 280mm setup, and the same results. I could neve get the thing to rotate true again.

I have never heard of anyone complaining their brake system made them lose a race... I thought Team Honda when racing Baja uses the stock brake system?

Team Honda uses the Branking Wave rotors, but in a stock diameter so if they have to "bum a wheel off some dudes" they have a real good chance of it bolting right on. At least this is what they used to do.

• eastreich

Posted August 16, 2007 - 08:38 AM

so this thread is mainly about tarding? right becasue i don't know if the brakes would make that much difference in the dirt right?

The brakes make that much difference in the dirt. Especially on a 300lb full of gas bike.

• HawkGT

Posted August 16, 2007 - 10:07 AM

I use the EBC 280mm (pretty sure it's 280mm). My only compliant is that when using the EBC pads it likes to squeak just as I'm coming to a stop. Just a minor annoyance I've not been able to get rid of. Performance wise--it made a noticeable difference. The stock front brake is not adequate for spirited street riding, IMO.

• ThunderChicken

Posted August 16, 2007 - 12:18 PM

It takes a lot to slow the 650R down when you're re-entering the atmosphere. With better braking you can go into turns hotter, spend less time slowing, and come out sooner.

I'd run wave rotors from Braking but it falls under the "luxury" category right now.

• InternalCombustion

Posted August 16, 2007 - 06:39 PM

When I converted to SM rims I added a 320mm EBC rotor and adapter. The adapter bolted up with no problems and I have really enjoyed the added power. A short time later I swapped out the factory brake line with a stainless steel-braided Russel line.

I do not have any complaints except that I think there is still more "sponge" in the lever than there should be. I've bled the brake line at least 4 times, every way I can think of, and even took it to the dealer to see if they could get it any more solid. I got it back worse than when I gave it to them. Pisser.

Anyway, point is the 320 rotor adds beau-coup braking power to the R, particularly on the street, in "stressed" situations. I think the value of a 320 rotor in the dirt is marginal, if only because tire traction is going to be the limiting factor, not rotor size. That's probably one of the primary reasons why the factory races with the stock rotor (not to mention less risk of rock or root damage).

IMHO.

Ride safe.

• eastreich

Posted August 16, 2007 - 09:08 PM

I had the stainless Russel line on my R. Great at first (with the EBC rotor). Switched over to a YZF front wheel assembly, and the brakes slowly started to feel more and more spongy. It got to the point that I could pull the lever all the way to the bars. Not good. If I wanted Kawasaki brakes, I would go back to my old KX500s. I would "borrow" the power bleeder from the dealership to bleed the brakes. They would be great for the first ride after bleeding, but by the end of the ride, spongy was back. Found a nick or two in the caliper pistons, so I rebuilt the caliper with new pistons and seals. Same results. Next, I rebuilt the master cylinder. The seals on piston were not in the best shape. Not it. Now I replaced the master cylinder with a new one. Maybe the bore was wore out? Nope!

It is not that noticable, but the Russel SS brake lines have a slightly narrower fitting on the end of the hoses than the factory Nissin hose. On the master cylinder end, the banjo bolt was bottomed out in the M/C. With new crush washers, there was not enough of a gap to let fluid leak out. However, I think that the bolt bottoming out (I was using the stock banjo bolt) hindered the fluid transfer in the piston somehow. My dealer had a stock 650R hose in stock (lucky me). Switched hoses and my brakes are back to Honda spec: one finger stops. I am wondering if you had a slightly shorter banjo bolt the sponginess may be cured.

• NavyNuke

Posted August 16, 2007 - 10:43 PM

I've had that problem before, I just carefully ground the end of the banjo a bit, and then used a file to clean up the threads, then made sure all the filings were sprayed/blasted off. worked perfect after that, but it was on a Z1000 when I switched to GSXR front calipers.

• InternalCombustion

Posted August 17, 2007 - 03:49 AM

Interesting idea, Eastreich and Navy Nuke. I think I'll pull the banjo bolt this weekend and see what's going on.

How will I know if its bottoming out?

• NavyNuke

Posted August 17, 2007 - 03:57 AM

thread the banjo in with the line off, and measure how far it sticks out when it bottoms by hand.

then measure the width of the fitting+crush washers. if its withing 2 thread widths, its too long.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.