YZs off-road- 18" tire critical or not?

1 reply to this topic
  • NM_KDX200

Posted August 15, 2007 - 11:54 AM


How many of you who ride your YZ-F's MX and off-road have switched to an 18" tire? What's the primary issue with the 19" off-road? Flats? I'm not in a racing situation and when I get to rocks, I'm slowing down so I'm thinking the 19" should be fine for the 25% off-road riding I plan to start doing. The other 75% is going to be "easy" MX.

Comments appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted August 15, 2007 - 12:14 PM


I race offroad only and I run an 18" wheel on my YZ. The extra sidewall gives me a little more rim/flat protection and I also like the added flex that the bigger sidewall gives you for better traction on rough terrain. The other reason I run an 18" is so I can mount a trials tire for the really gnarly tree-rooted, rocky trails. I have bent up every 19" wheel I've used for offroad racing.

For motocross the advantage of the 19" wheel is less sidewall flex for hard cornering and lighter weight. For the type of riding that you describe I would just stick with the 19" wheel that is on the bike and save the expense of switching. If you find that you start getting lots of flats when offroading then you might want to consider switching but for the track 19" is the way to go.

Related Content


yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • * * * * *
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.