White Brothers e-series (2000 model). How to use plates?

50 replies to this topic
  • kubamtx

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:36 PM

I'll do the test. I've wrote to WB customer service and that's what I recived:
"The way we found this exhaust works best on this bike is 11 discs and the
spark arrestor installed on the bike. You can take some of the discs off to
quiet it down I wouldn't suggest going below 7 but, make sure the spark
arrestor is installed. If you don't run the S/A then the bike will perform
more like a stock bike. If you decide not to run the S/A then don't run any
of the discs they have not function with out the S/A"

I've send question about washers now so I'm waiting for reply and then we will now everything.

• jayh300

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:45 PM

that would be good to know, yes without the s/a the plates would do nothing the exhaust would just go right past them. one other question i would have is why they have a turn down spout when no exhaust will go out it with the s/a. i would guess that is for no s/a usage ??? mine had 7, i am running 4, but we trail ride and top end is not that important to me. 4 is supposed to be the stock sized silencer. but i have a stock silencer and mine runs better with the E and 4 discs than with the stocker, imo.

post back your results, it would be good to know.
hope this helped
jay

• kubamtx

Posted August 15, 2007 - 02:51 PM

Helped a lot. Now the only thing to check is how tight the plates should be. In my opinion my plates won't work without washers.

• mr426

Posted August 15, 2007 - 04:18 PM

your plates look like they have been over tightned which smashed them together. if you look where the bolts go through there is like a 3/16" space flared out from the plate holes and if you over tighten them they can smash together closing the gap. you should buy a pack of new plates and just snug them.

• grayracer513

Posted August 15, 2007 - 04:46 PM

On the washer question, this is just an idea, but is it possible that kubamtx has an older/different version in which the plates are flat, and lay directly together when stacked, requiring washers to be placed between them, whereas yours have standoffs built into them so that they don't?

• mr426

Posted August 15, 2007 - 05:59 PM

i guess thats possible. i never thought of that. well, i would just contact wb with the part number from the discs and ask them how to set it up.

• jayh300

Posted August 15, 2007 - 06:45 PM

On the washer question, this is just an idea, but is it possible that kubamtx has an older/different version in which the plates are flat, and lay directly together when stacked, requiring washers to be placed between them, whereas yours have standoffs built into them so that they don't?

gray...sometimes you amaze me. I looked at the spare discs i am not using and sure nuf..... they have a flared standoff to separate the discs around the bolt holes on the discs. never noticed them before.:worthy: :worthy:

• mr426

Posted August 15, 2007 - 08:58 PM

well there you go... are your current ones smashed or just old models???

• kubamtx

Posted August 15, 2007 - 11:13 PM

So my has been smashed together. But i think thah using washers between them will help before I order new set. Or I'll use a punch and hammer and renew the flared standoff.
So now I need new set of plates...

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted August 16, 2007 - 05:08 AM

I was sold a E-series without a spark arrestor....got any idea where I could find one? What does it even look like.

Sorry to hijack

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayh300

Posted August 16, 2007 - 06:10 AM

it looks just like a disc, but no hole. it is a solid plate. i would get with wb's and try to get one. from what i read without the arrestor the plates do no good. they make the "E" in round and elliptical.

• kubamtx

Posted August 16, 2007 - 08:55 AM

Hi
So my plates doesn't work. They are smashed. So I added washers between them and now it works perfect. Less plates =less sound , more plates =more sound. Could somebody tell me what is the celarance between new plates so I can adjust my clearance and make it runing like new? My plates are 1mm from each other.

• jayh300

Posted August 16, 2007 - 09:46 AM

no spec for between plates, imagine that. I will measure mine tonight and post back for ya.
jay

• kubamtx

Posted August 16, 2007 - 12:45 PM

I think that WB should add clearance between plates to wheir manual. If it is possible to squize plates where should be a service limit when you have to buy new plates.

• jayh300

Posted August 16, 2007 - 03:44 PM

i have a .762mm feeler guage that will go in. that is the biggest in my set. if i try to add eve the smallest on to it .127 it will not go in. so mine are somewhere close to .800mm that is mse the distance between to outer lips of the discs as they would be bolted on the silencer.( sticking the feeler gauge straight in at a 90 degree to the silencer.)
see ya
jay

• kubamtx

Posted August 17, 2007 - 01:31 AM

Thanks for help. So we've got new 0,8mm and service limit hmm;-) 0,6.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted August 17, 2007 - 06:00 AM

it looks just like a disc, but no hole. it is a solid plate. i would get with wb's and try to get one. from what i read without the arrestor the plates do no good. they make the "E" in round and elliptical.

thats all there is? I figured there would be a screen inserted in somewhere. The gap between the plates is enough to stop sparks?:excuseme:

• jayh300

Posted August 17, 2007 - 06:04 AM

thats all there is? I figured there would be a screen inserted in somewhere. The gap between the plates is enough to stop sparks?:excuseme:

that's the way I understand it. I would think there would be a screen also, but they only list the plate and mine says stamped in it "spark arrestor"
jay

• kubamtx

Posted August 17, 2007 - 06:19 AM

Yes, only the gaps stops sparks and off course the solid plate =spark arrestor.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted August 17, 2007 - 12:01 PM

Yes, only the gaps stops sparks and off course the solid plate =spark arrestor.

bizaar, i thought i was riding dirty but they had no way to check aside from me tearing it apart:excuseme: I always felt guilty...now i can relax and just feel guilty about the ear splitting scream of the pipe....:bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.